Chapter 15: Miscommunication In The Library

Annabeth POV:

It was a Friday. I had just finished English with Mr Blofis and the bell was ringing to signal lunch time. I quickly grabbed my bag and marched out of the room, taking the long way round to the Library so that I could pass Percy at his locker. He was standing next to it with Leo and Will, and the three were laughing hysterically. 

When Percy caught my eye he stopped laughing and smiled. The other boys didn't notice. I smiled back and walked away quickly, hoping he hadn't seen me blushing. 

What was that all about, Annabeth? 

When I got into the Library, Nico was waiting for me at our usual spot. 

"What's that face for?" He asked, smirking slightly. 

"What do you mean?"

"You're smiling from ear to ear," he pointed out. "Oh my gods, is that the look of love I see? I take it things are going well with Luke?"

I blushed and looked away. 

"Shut up, I'm allowed to smile randomly you know," I dismissed. His face dropped. 

"So things aren't going well with Luke, then?"

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"You avoided my question completely," he said. "Did you guys break up or something?"

It was hard to ignore the hint of hope in his voice. It was no secret that Nico hated the fact that I was with Luke. He was only person I had told about the two of us and his response hadn't exactly been great. I believe his exact words had been: "Ugh, that creep? Good luck with him..."

"Things are going great, actually," I lied. 

"Have you hooked up yet?"

"What? We've kissed but we haven't-"

"-Had sex?" Nico pressed. "Good, don't bother with him."

I started feeling angry. "Well, maybe I will soon. I know he definitely wants to."

"Do you?"

"Yes, obviously," I lied. "We just haven't found the right time. But believe me, I really want to."

"Why even pretend? He's like, the furthest thing from your type. I'm more suited for you, Annabeth, you know that right? I mean, he's such a dick-"

"-He's actually extremely sweet," I defended. "You know he told me he loved me last week."

"And you told him to fuck off?"

"No, I told him I love him back..."

"And then you said 'haha just kidding' and broke up with him?"

"No, Nico. And then we kissed and had a lovely evening. I saw him again last night, and on Tuesday. Things are going really great."

"Barf," he said bluntly. 

"Well, I'm happy, so can you at least be a little happy for me?"

"You know I'm a bad liar, so I'll just be honest and say that I can't stand him and I think you're making a mistake," he smiled sweetly. 

"You're a great liar," I pointed out. 

"Also true." He saw my face and sighed. "Fine, okay, I suppose I'm being a little harsh. I have to admit that he's easy on the eyes. He might be a dickhead but there's no denying the fact that Luke Castellan is an attractive man."