the cliff

It was almost dawn when Pope got home from the meeting.
Not only had he been avoiding going home because of the tensions between him and Kiara, but also because he really needed to clear up his mind.
Pope had always cared about JJ, probably more than the rest of the group, since he was the only one to actually listen seriously to JJ. The two of them shared a very close bond, closer than the other Pogues would ever know.
And seeing JJ the way he was at the meeting had got to Pope's heart way more than he had imagined. He was always worried for all of his friends, but JJ had that dangerous and self-destructive behaviour when he was emotionally overwhelmed, and Pope was scared his friend would do something stupid.
So he had followed JJ on his way back home, and waited outside for an hour to make sure he was not moving anywhere. When after an hour JJ didn't come out, Pope had finally moved and walked back home.
During the meeting, he couldn't have helped but notices all the slight changes grief had made in JJ; his hair was longer, his eyes bloodshot, and he was very pale and skinnier. Pope admitted he himself must have changed too, but still seeing his friend in such a bad shape had made his heart break.
Pope turned down the alley and walked inside Kie's house, where he and Kiara had been staying since the night John B had dissapeared. He got upstairs and knocked at their room's door, then opened it carefully.
Kie was on the bed, facing the window, rolled all over herself. Pope died a little bit more inside each time he found her like that, crying silently in despair. Their couple hadn't been doing great lately, but still she was his friend, and Pope cared about her. Seeing her like that was one of the worst feelings he had ever experienced.
Kie didn't care to turn to face him, but he knew she knew he was there. Pope moved closer to the bed and sat on its edge.
"Can i get you anything to make you feel better ?"
Kie rolled over to face him and laughed ironically.
"I don't know, would you bring me Rafe's head on a silver plate ?"
Pope got up, sighing. Kie's heart was as thirsty for revenge as his was for moving on, and that had been the subject to most of their fights. Pope wished for living on and try to be happy, but Kie didn't want to follow that path. She was boiling with rage, and Pope was scared she would trade words for actions any time soon. So he had been checking on her continuously to the point she screamed at him and punched his chest, ordering for him to leave.
To move on, Pope needed Kie and JJ to do so as well. Bit yet, none of his friends seemed to be following that path, and Pope was getting tired of waiting for them.
"So, can you Pope ? Can you bring me that bastard's head ?"
Kie was looking at him, her dark eyes full of tears and anger. Pope shaked his head, too exhausted to make an actual sentence. Kie's face went from anger to sadness.
"Then," she said, falling back on the bed, "there is absolutely nothing you can do."
Pope understood in the way she said it she was not only talking about her. She was talking about them. She was breaking up with him, just at the moment he needed her the most, when she was the only thing still holding him together.
When Pope got out of the room, he felt his whole body break in a million pieces.

JJ couldn't sleep.
His mind was foggy and hurted from the weed he'd been smoking, but still clear enough for him to overthink. How ironic.
He was rolling over and over in his bed, trying to proceed the revelation he'd been having earlier that day.
He was in love with Pope.
Impossible.
And yet, the butterflies, the weird behaviour, all those signs, didn't lie.
JJ got up, threw on a tee shirt and a bermuda, and went outside. His feet were leading him unconsciously to one special place : the cliff.
JJ liked to think of it as a secret spot for him and Pope, but he knew that wasn't true; Pope had taken Kiara there someday, and so had Topper with Sarah, along many others. Lovers seemed to like this place, yet JJ had never brought any girl here. He had never wanted to, because he felt like this place belonged to him and Pope. Was he already in love at that time ? He didn't know and didn't care.
Because right now, on the cliff, standing in front of him, was Pope.
Pope was looking at the horizon and didn't notice JJ, who felt thankful for it, because he was unable to talk and move. He watched as Pope looked down and got a bottle out of his pocket. JJ watched in awe as Pope drank about half of the bottle, visibly unaware of the world around him.
Pope stumbled and almost fell, and JJ's heart skipped a beat. He shot to his friend and caught him by the waist.
Pope was drunk, he didn't react to JJ suddenly holding him. He just smiled and started to laugh.
"JJ...my brother..."
JJ cringed at the word but kept it to himself. He tried to move Pope away from the cliff's end.
"Pope, what are you doing here, drunk and alone ?"
JJ felt weird being the one responsible of the other. Usually, he was more in Pope's situation, and when his friend smiled blankly at him, JJ understood what the pogues had meant when they said taking care of a drunk friend is annoying.
Suddenly, Pope pushed JJ away.
"What are you doing ?
- I'm just trying to make you safe."
JJ didn't try to catch Pope again, but stood ready and close enough to catch him if needed.
"What if i don't wanna be safe anymore ?
- What do you mean ?"
Pope's eyes got full of tears.
"She broke up with me. It's over... I don't have anything to hold onto in this world anymore !"
The words broke JJ's heart, but he ignored it. Pope was drunk and didn't mean anything he said.
"You have me. I'm not letting you down, Pope. Not now, not ever."
JJ offered his hand to Pope. Pope looked at it, tears falling on his face, slightly shaking.
"No, i know you're not."
Pope smiled, and JJ calmed down a little bit he leaned closer to Pope to catch his hand, but Pope raised it as a sign to stop him.
"I'm the one letting you down."
Pope bended backward towards the cliff's end, opening his arms, his feet leaving the ground. JJ catched his sleeve and pulled him violently, causing Pope to fall on him. JJ and Pope rolled a few times away from the cliff.
Both of the boys shared a look, panting heavily. Pope was lying on his back, JJ half on top of him. JJ could feel Pope's body's warmth through his clothes. His face was close. So close...
JJ couldn't hold anything back anymore. He pressed his lips on Pope's. Pope's lips were warm and tasted like tequila, but JJ couldn't care less; they felt like home, comforting and sweet.  His whole body exploded with a flow of feelings, all stronger and better than the previous one. He didn't think about anything but them, lying on the grass.
After a moment, JJ broke the kiss, breatheless. Pope hadn't responsed to it and he was staring at him, silent and panting. They shared a deep look, and after a moment, Pope cupped JJ's neck and pulled him in for a kiss.
This one was better than the first one. More passionate, full of desire and angst. Pope's mouth was perfectly fitting JJ's, like two pieces of the same puzzle, completing one another, just as JJ thought Pope was completing him.
JJ gasped as Pope's hands went from his neck to under his shirt to caress his torso. Pope's mouth went from JJ's mouth to his neck, and JJ tilted his head to give him more space. He started to unbutton Pope's shirt, cherishing every part of his body he was touching along. Pope's fingers were going up and down on JJ's torso, making him shiver. They had gotten closer unconsciously, body against body, and JJ could feel a thousand butterflies in his stomach.
They got rid of their shirts, and the rest of their clothes, until it was just skin against skin, two souls clutching on each other as if it was the only thing that mattered in the world.

•×•×•

Hey guys ! Long time no see ❤️
I'm so sorry i've been so inactive after chapter one, i've been very busy with school but now that i'm on holiday i'll have more time for this story !
If you enjoy it, please comment, and if you don't like it, comment as well ! I wanna hear all you have to say :)
Bisous ❤️❤️
- maygreeves