Begin Again

Harrison was the kind of guy who'd always make sure that his girl never felt inadequate or insecure of herself. He always made sure that she'd feel as good and proud of herself as he did.

Meeting Harrison had certainly brightened up your life.

You had a very bad month. You had just ended your toxic relationship with a guy, who didn't respect your boundaries or choices and often laughed at your tastes in everything. You felt your self esteem shatter day by day, the longer you were with him.

Somehow, you managed to pull yourself out of the relationship. While you felt a million times better, the self esteem that you held had dwindled away from you. You felt like shit, doubted every single thing about you and questioned every single thing you did.

Eventually, you visited a therapist, who helped you to an extent and told you that maybe you'd find someone who would help you get your old self back, and make you feel proud for being yourself. Of course, you never actually thought that Harrison would be that person.

You were about to grab your favourite chocolate donut from the counter to get it packed when another hand quickly grabbed it much to your dismay.

"Oh, uh" you stuttered, looking at the blonde lad in front of you. He turned around and read your expression. Realising his folly, he smiled and handed the doughnut to you.

"I'm sorry love, here you go, I'll have something else!" You were touched by his kindness. He was willing to give you the doughnut he had grabbed first. You couldn't help but feel horrible for your selfishness.

"Oh no, it's totally fine, you took it first, so it's only fair." you said, pushing a strand of hair behind your ear.

"Well, on one condition." He leaned a bit forward towards you, gazing into your eyes before continuing, "You go out with me, and I'll treat with some more sweet treats." Smooth move, you thought. Well, his offer was too good to turn down. So you thought, why not?

"Um sure! If it's ok with you."

"Of course, may I have your number? Then I'll text you the place and maybe you could suggest a date?"

"Sure"

He was very charming indeed. You learnt that his name was Harrison, but most people called him Haz. From the little text conversations you had with him, he seemed pretty sweet and he had a great sense of humour. Your date came soon enough, and he had taken you to a minimalistic restaurant which you loved immediately.

He was a total gentleman, pulling the chair for you to sit, speaking to you politely. He listened to every single word you said with the greatest attention. You talked a lot about your families and what you did for a living and all the general stuff (he was an aspiring actor and model, no wonder he looked so amazing and handsome).

You had quite a nice time with him. After eating quite a scrumptious meal (you ate less as you felt a bit self conscious and he didn't feel the need to question you), you both just took a walk around the place, talking some more. In between the talks, he brought up the topic of past relationships and that was when you tensed up a bit. He could see by the look of your face that something wasn't quite right.

"Hey what happened, sweetheart? Everything okay? Did I say something wrong?" he asked with full concern.

You shook your head. "No its just that umm, my last relationship was a very bad one actually and it was really difficult to move on from it." you said, looking down at your toes.

"Do you wanna talk about it? If you want, of course." There was something about the way he was concerned about you, that made you feel a little confident in confiding in him. So, you mustered courage and narrated, in short, how your ex had not treated you that well and questioned every single choice of yours. How he had altogether succeeded in making you almost lose faith in yourself, until you broke up with him. You also talked about how you had to take therapy for some time and how your therapist said that the best way out of this was when you'd find a significant other who would help bring out your old self back.

As you ended your long story, you checked his expression, and he was listening with full attention, something you never thought of. You had opened up deeply to him and felt vulnerable.

"Wow, I just, that's really bad, darling." he held your hand and continued, "I'd never , ever let that happen to you. I'd never treat you like that at all. Because neither you, nor anyone should be treated like this."

"Thank you so much, Haz. It means a lot to me." you said, flushing at his words.

"I guess this is a bad time to ask, but do you wanna maybe umm, perhaps, give us a try?"

You looked up and looked into his ocean eyes. Yes, this was just one date, but there was already a connection now established between you two. Maybe this was going to be it. Or maybe not. You were willing to give this a chance.

"Yes Haz, I'd like that." you smiled, intertwining your fingers with his tightly. He smiled and pressed a soft kiss to your forehead and you walked some more before he dropped you back at your place, hardly wanting to go. You recounted the events in your head as you plopped yourself in your bed, as you watched your life begin again.

The end