I don't remember who you are....

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Chris's p.o.v

I wake up in an incredibly uncomfortable hospital chair. My neck hurts. i check my phone for the time and its 10:30 in the morning. I look over at the hospital bed in front of me to find her still sound asleep. Ugh last night was terrible...I'm so sore from head to toe. I need to wake up...the first thing that came to mind was the bitter sweet taste of coffee. I stand up to stretch and walk towards the room door. I slump over to the nurses desk and ask where the refreshments were.

"Down the hall, to your right, first opening." She said with a small grin. I thank her a start my mini adventure. Hospitals are depressing...filled with sick people with no hope. What really got to me was this one room i happen to pass with a little girl wearing a bandana and she was playing with a doll. Her mom and dad were talking to a doctor when i heard " I'm sorry...we cant do anything else. She has about a week." With that i watch as her mother drops to the floor bursting out into tears.  Her husband takes her out to the waiting room.

I feel terrible. Fuck....there is no other pain worse than to lose a part of you. I should know. I find the snack area and make myself a cup of coffee. I look to the vending machine and study the choices. I get a pack of oreos and then some animal crackers. I couldn't resist! As I'm walking back to my room i decide to stop by that little girls room.

I knock on the door. She looks up at me to see who it is. I hear her squeaky voice calling to me. Giving me permission to come in. She was very pale and had dark brown eyes. She studied my appearance and looked at me strange. I expected that from a child. I walk over to the side of her bed. I ask if i could sit and she nodded.

"Hello..." She said very quiet like.

"Hi. My name is Chris! Whats your name?"

"I'm Kate. Nice to meet you Chris!" She replied to me with a smile. She was adorable.

I tried not to make her feel uncomfortable. "So what is a pretty girl like you doing in this place?"

She smiled again. "Mommy said i was sick and that i needed to get better so i could come home." "But i don't feel better at all...I'm always sick..." She started to sob and a single tear fell from her saddened eyes. 

"Shhh...shh...don't cry." I wipe her tears. "You know your mom and dad love you very much, right?"

She nodded.

"Good. So need to be really strong for them. Okay?"

"I don't know if i can! Sometimes i get so weak to where i feel numb."

"I know you can." I assured her. "You seem pretty tough to me." I joke.

"Really?"

"Really."

"Are those animoo crackers?" Her eyes brightened.

I giggle as i nodded. "Yes, would you like them?"

She reaches out as i give her the animoo crackers.

She smiled and crawled over to me. She wrapped her tiny arms around my neck and pulled me into a hug.

"Thank you Chris..." Her smile turned into a huge grin.

"You're welcome."

I stand up and walk over to the door. I look back to her smiling and waving. I wave back and stick my tongue out at her. She returns the foolish face. I open the door and walk out. I peak one last time through the window and cross my eyes. She laugh. That warmed my heart. But as soon as i turn around i run into her mother who is smiling as much as me. She approaches with watery eyes and a warm embrace.