𝕮𝖍𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖊𝖗 10

Adika had been restless since she had woken up. Her anxiety had been building up throughout the week. When she got in the shower, it was reset to zero. As the shower progressed Adika had been hit with the realization that she had snuck in people a week ago. If she were ever found out, and if they ever had a misstep, her loyalty would be questioned. Then she had been hit with the fact that she hadn't talked to Haider at all for the past week. She didn't want him to think that she was blowing him off. No one had realised that she had been gone for that day, no one seemed to realise anything about her these days. Sure, Adika was a princess and there was a level of respect that came with that title. Adika wasn't a fool, she knew that they gossiped around her behind her back. Comments were thrown around about her utter lack of sex appeal, the dirt that sometimes lined her arms, the most common being she would never be able to find someone to rule the kingdom beside her. Honestly, just to refrain from hearing those snide remarks for a week was a gift, even if that gift was countered by her anxiety being at a high that week.

Adika made her way to breakfast in the dining hall today. Her mother had asked her to have breakfast with her today. Though she was her mother, she was the queen first and one can never ignore the queen's summons. She had been told that it was important, and Adika would bet all her dresses that she wanted to discuss marriage prospects and political engagements. As much as she would love to discuss politics she hardly doubts that her mother would be intrigued about that or her personal life. Which to her mother seemed to be non-existent. Adika never thought that her life would be such a mess, especially since she had always had a clear direction for her life. Study and become the monarch this country has seen, marry a powerful ally who would let her take the reigns and then spend her life raising children immersed in history and politics. Her game plan was simple and achievable. Obstacles kept getting in her way, whether it be coups or a growing love for her childhood best friend. Adika was doomed. Just bottle it in, she would say to herself when playing with the knives she had learned to hide under her skirt. She would suppress it, until it destroyed her. It was the driving force for her temperament. Sure she had tried to be calm and collected, but her outbursts have been growing more frequent as the ball grew closer. Adika always felt as if her anger was like a river, it had been filling up for years. During the monsoon seasons, rivers would overflow and so would her anger. Her rage would make an appearance once in a while and when it did, it left a mark. So far she had been able to keep it less spiteful and sharp, but it still didn't stop the regret and shame that followed minutes afterwards. Adika opened the doors, her mother and her acquaintances sat waiting for her. Ugh, she was going to need a training session after this.

↣↣ ⇼ ↢↢

Zahrah was on her break. Well, honestly she was always on her break. Hardly anyone ever showed up here, and she had already catalogued the books she had dropped a few days ago.

"I'm going to assume you're not busy," a familiar voice said, sliding himself into the chair in front of her.

"And you would be correct," Zahrah said, dropping her book, "I haven't seen you in a while, Haider. You good?"

"Yeah, the boss has got us working double time. This ball is going to be something else," Haider exclaimed putting his feet onto the table.

"Well, it has to be. Adika has to go find a husband," Zahrah rolled her eyes, "It's going to be the social event of the year."

"Another thing to despise about this ball. The workload and the reason for it."

"Haider," Zahrah leaned over and put her hand over his, "We've been over this, just tell the girl how you feel before it's too late." Her eyes saddened at the thought, and Haider wasn't a fool. He caught that look before she could dismiss it without charge.