Ready for the Next Step

After the girls were released from their sand prisons, they stayed at the beach until sunset, and played a few rounds of chicken; to the extreme.

Just after, they parted ways to return to their homes, to shower and change and such.

They met up at the guild not too long after. Levy and Gajeel, of course, seated themselves together at the bar.

"So how was the beach?" Mira inquired, smiling.

"It was fun," Gajeel answered, "do you want to see some pictures?"

He laughed.

"No." Levy intervened.

"I'm just kidding shrimp, I already deleted them."

"Why?" the girl asked, "not that I'm complaining."

"Well I figured after Lucy's threat that you wouldn't show any mercy either, and I'm just that nice of a guy."

"Oh hey," Levy paused, looking toward the entrance, "there's Jet and Droy, I'm going to go say bye, they're going on a mission."

"Okay shrimp." he watched as she left.

"Aww," Mirajane said, "you're just like a married couple, speaking of which," she leaned forward on the granite surface, propping herself up on her elbows, "when are you going to ask her?"

"Ask her what?" Gajeel gave her a befuddled look, taking a sip of his beer.

"To marry you, of course." She giggled.

Gajeel slapped his hand down on the counter and choked back his drink. His eyes widened and he inhaled sharply through his nose.

"Marry her?" He raised a studded eyebrow, letting out a few coughs.

"Well of course, you guys have been together for like two years. It would be so cute and spontaneous," Mirajane stated.

"You really are insane." Gajeel rolled his eyes, rubbing his temples.

"Oh come on," Mira urged, "consider it. It's not like you guys aren't going to to live together for the rest of your lives anyway."

"Why are you pushing this on me," he folded his arms, "why not Pinky or Ice Princess."

"They can wait another time" she waved her hand, "you're ready for the next step."

"We are not discussing this," he snapped, "you are delusional and you're fantasizing."

"Whatever you say," Mira sighed, withdrawing from her spot on the countertop, "I would think about it though."

"Yeah, okay," he nodded his head sarcastically, "marriage? Gee woman, you're out of your mi- oh, hey Levy."

The said blue haired Mage sat back in her spot on the stool next to him.

"Hey," she grinned, "what were you guys talking about?"

"Oh, nothing," Gajeel took another said of his beer, "you know, you look pretty tired. Did you want to go home?"

"Yeah," she nodded, yawning, "it is getting late, maybe I should."

"I'll walk with you."

"Sure," she stood up, "maybe you can keep me from falling asleep."

"Let us go then," he said, offering her his arm.

She smiled and took it, and the two happily marched out of the guild together.

....................

Gajeel kept his arm around the much smaller Levy, blocking her from the cold breeze as they walked the path to Fairy Hills.

Her head rested on his chest, struggling to stay awake. She decidedly let her eyes flutter shut and let Gajeel guide her as she dozed off against him, awake only enough to keep her feet moving.

"You sure you can keep walking, shrimp?" He asked.

She didn't answer, just nodded her head slowly.

"Aww," he spoke, kissing the top of her head, "you're cute when you're sleepy."

She just continued to lean against him, her footsteps slow and clumsy. But Gajeel held her steady and guided her gently back home.

"Well sleepy head, " he said, "I guess we're here."

She opened her eyes and straightened up a little, though she still looked dreary and tired.

"Thanks, Gajeel. " she spoke softly.

"Are you too sleepy to give me a kiss goodnight?" He asked, grinning.

"I'm never to sleepy for that." she said, offering the man a sloppy yet romantic kiss.

"Goodnight." Gajeel said.

"Night." she said, stepping through the doorway, closing it shut as she gave him a small wave goodbye.

.........................

    When Gajeel returned home that night, he found that he wasn't very tired, so he stayed up into the later hours scrolling through something on a strange electric lacrima.

Pantherlily found him doing this and flew up beside him, who was clearly not fazed by the exhaustion and tiredness the nighttime usually brings.

      "What are you doing?" He asked, glaring at the screen over Gajeel's shoulder, "are those rings?"

    "Yes, Pantherlily, those shiny round things are rings," Gajeel stated sarcastically.

     "Those are engagement rings," Lily elaborated, deliberately ignoring Gajeel's snide reply, "are those for Levy?"

     "Why don't you sound surprised, cat?" Gajeel scoffed, turning to face the black exceed.

    "Well," the little cat responded, "it was only a matter of time."

     "Have you been talking to that she-devil?" Gajeel asked, "because she is obsessed and a lunatic."

    "No," Lily answered, folding his arms, "I guess I'm just kind of hopeful. It would be nice if you two got married."

     Gajeel raised and eyebrow, "You think so, too?"

    "Yes, and I personally would choose that one." he touched a paw to one in the corner of he page, "now good night."

With that, the wise exceed flew off.

    "Tch," Gajeel huffed, "what does a cat know about jewelry, especially women's."