Together Tonight

Gajeel took Levy's small hand in his as he sat himself down next to her at their table in the guild hall.

He bent down and kissed the top of her head.

"Good morning shortie."

"Good morning." she she relied to his greeting, though not removing her eyes from the book she was apparently engrossed in.

He leaned over and read aloud from her book, something she hated for people to do.

She looked up at him with an annoyed expression.

"Please refrain from doing that," she ordered, returning her gaze to the page.

"Sorry, what book are you reading?" Gajeel asked.

"Just a fantasy, though it's a pretty good read," she paused for a moment, "why do you care?"

"I'm just really bored, and whatever interests you interests me."

"Aww that's really sweet, but if you're bored we can go somewhere."

"Hmm," he tapped his chin, "now that I think about it, when was the last time I took you out?"

"Like on a date?"

"Yeah, like to go get dinner or something." Gajeel said.

"Hmm," Levy closed her book and drummed her fingers on it, " I can't remember."

"Well then," Gajeel grinned, "I guess I'll just have to take you out tonight."

"Really?"

"Yeah, shrimp," he nodded, wrapping an arm around her shoulders, "you can put on a pretty dress and I'll take you somewhere nice."

"That sounds great," she smiled, "so later then?"

"Absolutely, later shortie."

...................

Levy bit down on the chocolate covered strawberry and let the taste of the sweet juice and melty chocolate fill her mouth.

"Do you like it, shrimp?"

"Yeah," she answered, as she swallowed down another savory bite, "these things are my favorite."

"I figured as much," Gajeel shrugged, "you smell like strawberries."

Levy smiled, lifting her gaze from their meal and shifting her focus to the lovely scenery around them, from the glimmering surface of the water beneath them, which reflected the shining lights of the city around them, and the soft yellow light of the moon and the stars.

The two currently sat on a bridge that arched over the blue river that wound through Magnolia, dining on food Gajeel obtained from a divine, fancy restaurant.

Levy tucked her legs neatly beneath her and let out a pleasant sigh.

"It's so pretty here," she spoke, "this is ten times better than a restaurant."

"Well then I am glad you like it shrimp." Gajeel smiled, popping another strawberry into his mouth.

She wiped her face with a napkin and stood up, leaning over the railing to watch the water below.

"Watch it shortie, you could fall over." Gajeel warned, coming up beside her.

She laughed. Then pointed down at the passing group of little ducks. "Hey, look at the ducks."

He watched them pass by and then disappear under the bridge.

Levy leaned further downward and craned her head to watch them pass beneath the bridge, her feet barely keeping with the ground.

Gajeel reached out and grabbed her waist to keep her from falling. "Woah, shrimp, you really are going to fall."

"Well it's a good thing you're here," she left, letting him pull her into an embrace, her back pressed against his chest, feeling it rise and fall with every steady breath he took.

He kept his arms wound around her, she could feel his warmth.

His chin rested atop her head.

"It's nice to keep you close," he spoke, "my reckless little shrimp."

She closed her eyes and let his warmth envelop her, holding onto to the feeling of being in his arms. "Can we just stay like this forever?"

The girl gazed up at him, her hazel eyes glittering.

"As long as you want," the iron dragon slayer nodded. He met her gaze and smiled down at her.

..............................

The pair headed back home after a short while, tossing leftover bread to the little ducks and throwing the rest away.

Gajeel walked, once again, down the path with Levy, his arm around her and her leaning on his chest.

"So shrimp," Gajeel spoke, "you sure you won't fall asleep this time?"

She laughed, "I'm sure."

They walked on, so close that they could be one person. Gajeel could feel her as she took soft breaths, her chest slowly rising and falling.

The house loomed ahead, and as they got closer and closer, Gajeel realized, that he didn't want it to end.

Being so close to Levy felt so warm and comfortable, and he loved to keep her tight against him, just to know that she was his, and he was hers, and that there seemed like no other way to be but with each other, in each other's arms.

His thoughts were cut short as they stepped up to the house. She turned to him.

"Thanks for tonight," she said, "I guess I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Sure thing shrimp, but a kiss goodnight?"

"Sure thing." she then put his lips into his, but not as long as he would have liked. She waved goodnight to him and stepped through the doorway.

As Gajeel walked home he thought about what Mirajane and Pantherlily had said to him, and about how he wanted Levy to stay in his arms for the rest of their lives, just him and her together.