22

22: Emptiness

• • • • •

Warning/s: blood, choking, anxiety, nightmares

• • • • •

"She said what?" Kurapika exclaimed in disbelief, rubbing his forehead.

Today could be dubbed as the worst day in his entire life, never had he faced so much shit that made him want to just run away, preferably with her.

Leorio sighed and repeated (Name)'s words, "She said - quote and quote - there was no need to tell you everything she did because you're not even together."

"God, what did I do?" He groaned, slumping his head on the table. "This is the worst day of my fucking life."

Leorio raised his brow at him, "You ask God what you did and suddenly you use profanities? Don't expect him to answer."

"I know that," Kurapika said, rising from his seat.

He stumbled towards his room, head hung low, and when he entered, he immediately crashed on his bed, not even bothering to close the door.

Leorio turned to Melody, silently asking an explanation. Something must've happened at the Nostrade's because there's no way Kurapika would've noticed the tension between Neon and (Name) earlier.

"Light Nostrade got mad when he found out Kurapika let strangers tag along," Melody explained, letting out a sigh as well. "So he gave him an earful and said Kurapika wasn't allowed to let Neon near them again unless he wanted to get fired."

"Now that's just messed up," said Leorio. "How'd he even know?"

"Neon told him as soon as we arrived," Melody replied.

"Ah, little brat," Leorio snorted. He looked back at Kurapika, he hadn't moved from his position but he clearly wasn't asleep. "He's a lovesick puppy now that (Name) isn't here."

"He wasn't like this before," said Melody, smiling. "I think (Name) really turned his world upside down."

"But this is bad," said Leorio, rising from his seat as well, a frown painted his features. "If Nostrade doesn't want Neon near (Name) and the rest again, then how should (Name) and Kurapika be able to spend time together? At night, she's in her home and at day - who knows what those crazy women do at day?"

"I'm afraid you're right, Leorio," Melody agreed. "It might actually weaken their bond, we both know how attached Kurapika had gotten to (Name) and to separate them like that..."

"He might have to chose between the eyes of his clan or his soulmate," Leorio finished, making Melody sink into her chair.

The horrible possibility of that happening was big, it didn't help that the lonely tune of Kurapika's heart made was matching the mournful tone that Rin Hiroshi described as the melody of a person starting to break.

Kurapika could hear them, they weren't actually talking quietly.

He could see their point, but he hoped it wouldn't come to that, he didn't want to be stuck between choosing her and his clan. He buried his face in his pillows, smearing them with his tears.

"Shit," he muttered to himself. There it was again, that hollow feeling inside him like a void left by the demise of his clan, nothing filled it up - not friendship, not love, nothing.

There was fire, dead bodies around him; the bodies of his clan. All of them dead, eyes gouged out of their empty black sockets which poured blood to the once fresh green grass.