not ur friend (part 1)

• If all it is, is 8 letters why is it so hard to say?
a/n: haven't written for spence in a while lol. hope you guys like it. wow...and i wrote him as an ass. bahahaha what am i going through i'm so sorry.
warning(s): language. angst. not proofread. will be mistakes.
word count: 1.8k
request(ed): no.
summary: y/n overhears something she shouldn't have. this conversation alters her relationship.
not ur friend by jeremy zucker.
———————-——————&————————————

Hang up, if you ever think of calling me up. Not afraid to say it, darling.

3 days.

It's been an entire weekend of you ignoring Spencer and his ever intruding phone calls. This wouldn't have been a big deal except for the fact that this felt like a breakup. Your head and heart was treating this like you were in a relationship and he made it painfully clear that you weren't.

It was quiet in your apartment. The television was off, the radio was silent, the heater had paused and even the refrigerator wasn't making the usual silent buzz noise it made. The deafness of it all allowed the conversation you heard friday night play over and over again through your ached head.

Friday 11:37 pm.

"So Reid..." you picked up your when it rang and read Spencer's name across the screen. It wasn't like him to call so late but you picked up anyway. When it was a muffled Morgan's voice you heard instead of Spencer's you realized he hadn't even meant to call you at all.

"How's your girlfriend?"

You just knew all eyes were on him. Spencer Reid was very private about his social life. It was rare he even told you about anything he'd been up to. He just wasn't one for small talk. The fact that you just knew they were talking about you made you press your phone harder into your ear even thought you weren't even sure you should have been listening.

"Oh y/n? Yeah she's definitely not my girlfriend."

This stung. There wasn't even a label or anything that you guys put on it, but usually when Spencer would talk about his romantic relationships he'd get nervous and stuttery and try to change the subject. Spencer's voice was clear and steady. Zero hints of nervousness and bashfulness. He was serious.

"Really?" This was Emily now, you could recognize her voice. "You guys seem like pretty close friends if you know what I mean." Her tone was laced with humor but Spencer's was far from joking.

"No. I wouldn't call us friends either. She's just someone I visit. Like y'know...how you would a grandmother."

A grandmother? He compared you to a grandmother? He said visiting you was like visiting a grandmother?? You could feel the tears in your eyes. You really thought Spencer was a good guy. Why would he say something so rude? Something so hurtful about the person he was sleeping with.
It wasn't a friends with benefits. You guys had agreed on that, but you weren't dating either. You had met him at a museum and ever since then you two had behaved as if a couple would. The only difference was that you weren't public. You weren't posting pictures, or gushing over how cute you thought your "boyfriend" was to your friends. And you were fine with that. Labels are constricting. You were glad not to have them except when he decided to say he barely knew you at all and compared you to a grandmother.

"Damn." Morgan sounded impressed. "Does she know that?"

"Maybe." Spencer paused. "There's nothing really romantic about our relationship. To be honest, she can be a bit needy at times and it's suffocating."

He paused again.

"I'm actually thinking of breaking things off. She wants more and I just don't like her that way."