From the Top

Addy POV

Have you ever noticed that when you're by your phone and it rings, the call seems to be never ending as you wait for the ringing to stop? Whereas if you're nowhere near your phone and you rush to answer it, you almost always just miss it before you have the chance to answer it?

Seeing Dylan's name and contact picture of him sticking his tongue out fill my screen, that's exactly what's happening right now. It seems like the call is going on forever as I chew on the side of my mouth debating if I should answer his call or not.

However, that same pit in my stomach that I'm going to miss the call if I don't run towards it slams through me and I reach out before I can convince myself it's not a good idea "Hello?"

"Hey Adds it's me again- wait... you said- you said hello- holy shit you answered" he rushes out through his shock.

Fuck I've missed him.

I nod even though he can't see me and reply softly "I did"

"Um, I- hi, I mean hey-" he coughs out an angry little breath, his agitation with stumbling over his words making the corners of my lips twitch "Jesus- I, uh, I'm sorry, I don't actually know what to say right now."

"But you called me" I mutter the obvious and there's a pause before he clears his throat "Right, but I didn't think you were going to answer."

Can't really blame him with that way of thinking. The airline was able to swap my ticket no problem once I got up to the counter and it was just by dumb luck that I got there when I did. There just so happened to be a flight that was leaving within the hour that would be bringing me into Heathrow just before noon the following day.

I had turned off my phone after sending the flight info to my parents before walking up to security. When I landed in Heathrow I turned my phone back on and ignored the 7 voicemails that were waiting so I could chat with Kaya and have the car sent for me take me to her flat.

On the drive I had stayed true to my word and let Dylan know that I had landed. I didn't open the reply message and instead put my phone on do not disturb mode.

I didn't sleep on the plane and was more than exhausted, especially with the jet lag coming on quickly, as soon as I made it to Kaya's.

She was a saint and already had her guest room set up for me, blackout shades and everything. I was grateful that she was too swept up in being just as excited to see me that I was to see her and she didn't catch on to my weird mood... or that the real reason behind my red puffy eyes was not because of the lack of sleep on the plane.

I had switched my phone back into disturb mode after we had some lunch and all of my notifications were like little red laser beams shining right in my eyes. After listening to 3 of the voicemails I couldn't bring myself to listen to anymore or even read the texts he had sent.

And there was a lot.

Deciding that being mentally, emotionally and physically exhausted from the previous almost 24 hours probably meant I should call it a ridiculously early night and try again in the morning. So with it being barely a couple hours into the afternoon in jolly ol' England- I showered quickly, changed into some jammies and was out as soon as my head hit the pillow.

That was yesterday.

I make a noise and pick at non-existent lint on my leggings "Did you want me to hang up so you could call back and say whatever you were going to say on the voicemail?"

"No," he answers quickly and I can hear the nervousness in his voice, imagining him grimacing and scratching his forehead, when he continues "Now that I'm actually connected to you, I don't ever want you to hang up if I'm being honest."