Chapter 11 - Happy

Heather tilted her head slightly and smiled sweetly. "Then... what do you think will make you happy?".

Ezekiel glanced at her, feeling a bit embarrassed... was he really going to say it? He had to, he couldn't keep those things to himself anymore, he was scared that maybe he could have ruined things if he spoke up about it, but even so... even so he needed to be honest, both with himself and with Heather, and now it was the perfect time to do so, a similar chance might not have presented itself again for a while!

"Heather...".

He muttered, his cheeks already flustered red for what he was about to say.

"Heather... you are the one who makes me happy. In all the centuries I spent up there... I can tell you I've never been as happy as I've been in these past few months with you...".

He admitted, fidgeting a bit with his soft hands.

"Y-you've... changed my life in a way I never thought was possible- you- you've made me feel safe and accepted when I was at my lowest, you've been so patient with me, so kind...".

He sniffled a bit.

"Sometimes... I felt like I didn't deserve this, I couldn't understand why you were being so kind with me, even though I've never done a single thing to repay you. But somehow, you always managed to make me feel like I mattered, like I deserved all that kindness. In Heaven I was just one angel among hundreds of thousands of other angels... but here, with you... I feel like I am my own person... you make me feel unique!".

Heather was just listening to all he had to say. She was speechless, she had no idea that the things she did had such a special meaning to the angel, that she mattered so much to him. She had always struggled with those things... understanding how much she meant to others, usually her caring attitude was misinterpreted, but this time... not even she was certain of why she was doing so much for Ezekiel, it just came so natural for her to care for him. Maybe because she could feel deep down that he needed it, or maybe because she cared for his well-being very deeply, albeit not really being completely aware of it yet. She just wanted to see him being happy, because that also made HER happy. It was a complex feeling, she never thought about it much, she didn't have a name for it, she didn't even know if there was an exact name for it, but it kind of felt like... love.

That was definitely a first for her... she rarely ever felt that close to someone and even then, just because she felt close to that person, it didn't mean she wanted to be in a relationship with them. That was one of the reasons why she had never properly dated anybody, she just couldn't feel that kind of connection with people... but it was different this time... she couldn't pinpoint why that was happening... but it definitely felt like there was a connection.

"Heather... are you okay? You've been awfully s-silent" Ezekiel asked, glancing at her a bit nervously, then he quickly looked away "I-I'm sorry, maybe I shouldn't have said all those things- it's a lot to take in, for sure, I didn't want to make you uncomfortable o-or anything but... I wanted to s-say it, at least once...".

That snapped Heather back to reality, she placed her hand on his arm reassuringly "No, Ezekiel, you don't need to apologize I- I...".

She blushed a bit.

"I'm going to be honest with you... I do care about you immensely... it's... complicated to explain, but you DO matter to me... a lot".

The young angel widened his eyes, his cheeks as red as Heather's pullover. "W-was this... your secret? D-do you truly care so much about me?".

Heather nodded, reaching out for his hand and holding it tight. "Yes, I do" she said, looking up at him.

Ezekiel felt a warm sensation rising up from his chest and spreading throughout his entire body. He wanted to be even closer to her, but he wasn't really sure on what to do... "H-Heather... I...".

He gently caressed her cheek.

"I think... I'm in l-love... with you...".

He finally managed to say, flustered beyond belief.

She widened her eyes as well, her heart beating fast in her chest, she smiled sweetly and let him caress her cheek. "I love you too, Ezekiel..." she said, looking at him with dreamy eyes, softly caressing his blonde hair a bit.

"I want to be with you forever..." she added, slowly pulling herself up to his face.

Their glances locked briefly and Ezekiel's hand slowly slid from her cheek to her chin, lifting it up a bit... but then gently letting go, leaving Heather quite perplexed.

"Something the matter?" she asked.

Ezekiel looked a bit away "I... I wish I could kiss you...".

Heather caressed his chest a bit "You can... I would love that...".

"B-but I can't... an angel's kiss... it could be too overwhelming for a human" he explained, glancing down. But his face was quickly lifted back up by her gentle touch.

"Then overwhelm me..." she said, pressing her body a bit on his.

The young angel blushed deeply, a sheepish smile forming on his face as he felt his whole body heat up "A-are you sure about it...?".

"I've never been more sure of something" Heather answered firmly, smiling a bit.

Ezekiel slowly brought his hand back up to Heather's chin and gently led her face towards his.

Heather delicately wrapped her arms around his neck, running one hand through his hair.

He felt a bit nervous and hesitated a bit, but finally, he softly kissed her lips.

In that moment, Heather felt a strange feeling surge through her, it was happiness, pure, blissful happiness, she didn't know if it was because of Ezekiel's powers or because that kiss was something she'd been subconsciously wanting for a good while, but she felt so nice, so warm, it was the best feeling possible. She passionately kissed back for a few seconds and then pulled away, her golden eyes sparkling.

Ezekiel was looking at her with watery eyes, all that euphoria, that blissful feeling of happiness... he could feel it too, that was the happiness he'd been looking for ever since the day he was born... he'd finally found it a place where he truly felt at home, Heather's arms... small tears of joy rolled down his chubby cheeks as he smiled the most beautiful smile that someone could ever imagine.

"Thank you... Heather".