Chapter 19

162 left Saturday, December 5

"Heyo, Gogy." Clay's voice crackles over my phone's speaker.

"Hey, Clay. How's being in the hospital for an eternity going?"

"Awful. How did you do this shit for a whole YEAR??" He says, referring to the treatment at 'Teen Cancer America'. Weird name, I know.

"I barely survived. That- that wasn't a pun." My dumbass talking about dying when I have cancer.

"At least I should be allowed out of the hospital soon. That can't keep me here forever."

"They sure tried to keep me there when I was stuck in my stupid cancer center."

I burst into a coughing fit. My poor phone almost gets thrown in the process.

"You alright, buddy? Sound like you're dyi-" He pauses before saying dying, "like you're struggling to breathe."

"Nice save."

"Shuddup. Ya know what, I need to get out of here. You know how there's a carnival in town this week?"

"Yeah. Of course I know about that. Everyone in school has been talking about it."

"Well, do you wanna go with me? Like, as a date?"

"A-a date? Um, sure." I got flustered and Clay could probably hear it in my voice. He chuckled at my flustered state.

"Alright. But you'll have to be my ride. I don't think I would be able to drive my car with the destroyed state it was in. I'll talk to my nurse. Pick me up at my house in two hours."

He hung up.

"A date. I have a date with Clay. Clay, my best friend and crush for seven years. I HAVE A DATE WITH CLAY!" I say excitedly. My voice progressively gets louder as I realize what this really means.

"I need to get ready." I rush over to my closet and start picking through it. After sorting through it for about 5 minutes I finally find an outfit suitable for this occasion.

I tuck in the light blue shirt into my black ripped jeans. I then throw on a larger-than-me dark blue zip up and called it a day. The shirt has the words "GeorgeNotFound" in a white box with a red trim on the front. It's a inside joke between us.

I put in my earbuds not wanting to do anything else since I still have a little less than two hours. I open my "Spotify" app and shuffle my "the goodgood playlist".

The song that first played was "Heartscam" by DBMK. Pog song, not gonna lie. The next song was "CLAUSTROPHOBIA" by 3OH!3. Another great song. Then it was "Good Kid" by Former Vandal, followed by "Heat Waves" by Glass Animals and then finally "I Think I'm Bored" by, once again, DBMK. A few more songs play and I sigh. I take out my earbuds because I've been listening to music for about 30 minutes.

(A/N, me casually sharing with you my Spotify playlist. It's actually named "The goodgood Playlist".)

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

Ten minutes till degisnated time to pick up Clay.

I rush into the bathroom, slipping slightly with my lack of shoes and only having socks on. Noted: put on shoes. I quickly brush my teeth and put on a bit of cologne to smell better.

I put on my shoes then grab my car keys and sprint to the front door.

"Where you going, George?" Great, the one time my mom has been here recently and she wants to chat.

"I have a date." I say harshly hoping she'll let it go.

"Oh! Whose the lucky lady?!" She says excitedly. I'm surprised she is fine with letting me go on a date.

"It's a guy, mum." I say monotonely as I walk out of the door. As follows me outside quickly.

"I'm alright with that too. Who is the guy?" She says as I try and get into my car. I sigh.

"It's Clay. Can I go now? I don't want to be late." I get into the car and shut the door. I pull out of the driveway as she stands there awkwardly.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

I pull into a parking spot in the dirt field where everyone parks for the carnival.

"Well, this has been fun already. There was no car crash so that's a win for you." Clay says from the passenger seat with a stiff chuckle. I scoff and get out of the car, him following behind me.

"Damn, it looks awesome here." I say as I look at the carnival grounds. I've never been here before since my mum thinks it's unsafe for me to be here. There's a huge ferris wheel and tons of little games and food shops.

"You happy?" Clay asks. I look over at him and smile while nodding. His face is barely illuminated because of the night sky and clouds. The only reason I can see his huge dorky smirk is because of the multicolored lights coming from the different booths and ferris wheel.

I can't see most of the colors but I don't care. Clay's smile makes me happier than I've ever been before. He grabs my hand and pulls me to the first game booth. It's a game where you throw the balls at the bottles and try and knock them down.

~•~•~•~•~•~•~

After an hour and a half of playing carnival games we've won multiple prizes. I'm carrying a giant little blue teddy bear and Clay has small little plushies.

"It's getting really late. I think we should do one last thing before we leave." Clay says, glancing around to find something worth doing that we haven't already. His gaze lands on the ferris wheel.

We pay 10 dollars and get onto the ferris wheel. We sit really close together because of the fact that this ride is mostly used by kids.

"Have you ever seen the movie 'Love, Simon'?" He asks. I nod and look at him confused.

"My favorite scene in that movie is at the end. The kissing scene." He continues. He slowly leans and in and before I know it he's gently kissing me.

I'm surprised, obviously, at first but I kiss back. The sweet moment of bliss is ruined by the ferris wheel jerking and knocking us over violently.

"Hey, Gogy. Um, I don't really know how to ask this but can-" he pauses, not knowing how to achieve the right words needed, "can you- um- will you be my boyfriend?" My eyes widen in surprise.

"Of course!" I say as I throw my arms around him, embracing him.

(A/N, sorry for the lack of updates recently. I've been trying to make a really good chapter and I've been struggling but I obviously did it since you're reading the really good chapter. And for those of you who read this chapter when it first comes out, Merry Christmas Eve and for those who read this the day after, Merry Christmas. Love you guys and thank you for being here reading this. I hope you guys have a good morning, day, afternoon, evening, or night!)