Chapter 3: Hope

Darkness. That was a way to describe this place, a place that was dark and cold with flooded floors. Chains rattled as Akuma's monstrous figure slightly moved but that slight movement was all she could do as the chains would not allow any more. She growled as she glared at the only source of light in the room, a candle brought by her keeper.

He sat on the wet floor by the candle and watched her dismissively. She roared as she used all her strength to lunge at him but the chains held her in place and red gates fell from the darkness above her and brought her down by the neck, keeping her in place and doing the same with her tails and arms.

"To think I had hope of something good within such an evil creation." The man stated as he met her glare with a somber smile and stood up with the candle in his hands "I was misguided but still too stubborn to destroy you...I still have hope."

The man blew the candle out and the room returned to eternal darkness.

~

Akuma shot up from her slumber and wiped the sweat off her forehead while subconsciously rubbing her neck. She looked up at the blue sky and shook her head as she dismissed her dream of the past.

After the previous week's events, Akuma had explored the caged town and ended up sleeping at one of the grasslands not far from the town. She stood up while looking up at the wall and smiled in amusement at the fact that the wall these humans had put all their trust in for protection and safety was dented by her hand print.

Akuma walked along the dirt path back into town and once she entered, she was stopped by one of the drunks that were 'guarding' the walls. He was a tall man with short blonde hair, brown eyes, some wrinkles along his face and a small thin moustache tracing above his lips. He wore the typical uniforms the soldiers wore with the shield and rose symbol imbedded on the jacket and a bottle of beer in hand.

 He wore the typical uniforms the soldiers wore with the shield and rose symbol imbedded on the jacket and a bottle of beer in hand

"Hold on there squirt." Hannes said as she held onto her shoulder while she glared at him. "I haven't seen you around before, where'd you come from?"

"Your mother's house, now get out of my way!" Akuma exclaimed and Hannes fellow soldiers laughed.

"Heh, you're funny kid." Hannes chuckled as he drank more of his beer.

"What's funny is how I'm gonna kick your ass over the wall if you don't let go of me!" Akuma exclaimed as she removed Hannes' hand.

"This kid is hilarious!" One of the soldiers laughed.

Hannes laughed as he went for another drink but the bottle in his hand was gone. He blinked as he looked down and saw Akuma guzzling the rest of it down and let out a loud burp when she emptied the bottle. The soldiers were quiet in shock along with some vendors and citizens nearby.

"The name's Hannes." Hannes stated seriously.

"Akuma." Akuma stated with her own seriousness.

Hannes and Akuma met eye to eye with serious looks on their faces and after a few moments of staring each other down, the two had sat across from each other and started a drinking match with other soldiers providing more bottles of beer while some citizens cheered and others were mortified that a child would be doing such a thing.