voulez-vous

Valentina Amato

Two weeks have passed and Lorenzo, Colette, Apollo and I have been spending time together constantly. It's as if someone took the plot of Dazed and Confused and applied it to our lives. Every crazy night that we spend together drinking and smoking felt like it was right out of a movie. What also felt like it came right out of a movie was Lorenzo. Each day that I spent getting to know him more and more, I was left speechless at how one boy that has gone through what he has can be so sweet and loving. I remember the day Lorenzo and I were having a picnic at the beach, just the two of us, and he brought up the subject of my parents.

"So how come your parents aren't around?" Lorenzo asks as he reaches over and pops another grape in his mouth.

"Oh, you know, it's the usual 'my parents only care about their jobs and making money that they think they can use to buy their kids love' situation" I shrug, "It's really Apollo who's been looking out for me since we were kids. He's my only real support system, other than Colette, but you know what I mean," I sigh and reach my hand for a grape. Lorenzo reaches out and holds my extended hand, clasping our fingers together.

"I know exactly what you mean," he says with a sad smile, "believe it or not, it seems Lake Como must be the island where parents who don't give a shit about their kids send them because that's what my deadbeat father did," Lorenzo lets out a frustrated laugh, "my father tries to buy my forgiveness for his absence in my life, but when will he know it's never going to work?"he shakes his head and sits up from his layed position.

"It's up to us to make sure that when we have kids in the future," I scoot next to him and bring my hand to his shoulder, "that we make sure they never feel the way in which we do. I know that when I have kids, they know that their mother loves them so much..." I trail off, thinking about the life I'd give my kids.

"How many kids do you want?" Lorenzo asks me, smiling.

"I want two boys and a girl. What about you?" I ask him, returning the smile.

"I don't care how many, as long as I get to shower them with love and affection," he looks at the sky, almost as if he's imagining it, "Do you have any names?" he asks me.

"Well, if it's a girl, I like Lola" I say, smiling at the image of my future daughter, "and if it's a boy, I like the name Kai."

"Lola is beautiful," Lorenzo looks at me with a beaming smile.

"Heyyy! No, you can't steal it!" I laugh and point my finger at him.

"Pleasee!" he begs and turns to face me fully. I study his face and see how his eyes have widened slightly and his lips form a cute little pout.

"Fine...you can have the name-" I say in defeat, Lorenzo cutting me off with a kiss.

"Works every time," he winks at me and I roll my eyes.

"Next time the face won't work!"I exclaim and he just rolls his eyes, reaching over and pulling me to lay down with him.

"Valé!" Colette's voice pulls me from my thoughts.

"What?" I respond, still not able to clear my mind about Lorenzo.

"What are you going to wear for tonight?" she asks me, pulling out outfits from her bag.

"Probably the red dress I bought with you a couple days ago, and some black sandals so it's easy to dance," I say and get up to take the outfit out of my closet.

"So, things have been going pretty well with Lorenzo..." Colette says and leans against the doorway to my walk in closet.

"They actually really are...I'm happy," I feel myself blush, but don't meet her gaze to avoid being teased.