chapter one

Everywhere you looked there was ash, clouding your vision as you stumbled through the burning village in front of you.

Shit, how did this happen?

Your lungs burnt with every breath, eyes stinging with tears at the horrific sight of bodies splayed out in front of you, but you knew if you stopped you would soon be joining them.

Time felt like it had slowed down, loud noises becoming one big ringing in your ears, there were people screaming but you couldn't hear them as you pushed past. All you needed to do was get to your bag and then you could run, you couldn't risk anyone finding it.

You weaved through lane ways and dodged the people bleeding out on the ground, blocking out the violence surrounding you, knowing your house wasn't too far away.

A few more corners and your house came into view, a small burst of adrenalin pushing you forwards as you sprinted towards the door, the smoke and ash thinning out allowing you to take a deep breath.

You made it to the door, pushing it open and barging through into the conjoined lounge/kitchen area, falling onto your knees in front of your couch you threw the cushion across the room, rifling through the various items hidden in the compartment. Your fingers grasped the soft leather handle of your backpack and a sigh of relief fell from your lips, closing your eyes and taking a deep breath you stood up and adjusted it onto your back, rushing towards the door.

CRACK

Your heart stopped as you watched your front door violently swing into the wall, your hands shook as you tried to move but fear paralyzed you, two large figures made their way through the broken frame and instantly noticed you.

Before they could speak, your fight or flight response kicked in and you sprinted to the other side of the house towards your back door. Heart and lungs still aching, you managed to clear the opening behind your house without being shot, all you had to do was make it into the trees and you would be safe.

As if you jinxed yourself, your ankle gave way and you fell to the ground, not having time to brace the fall with your arms. Turning your face away from the impact, you felt a sharp pain ring out through your temple, warmth running down over your cheek.

Your head was spinning, you couldn't see or hear anything as you stumbled back to your feet but you couldn't stop now, you were so close to escaping. Managing to make it into the tree line, you ran blindly for a few moments, holding your arms in front of your face to stop any branches injuring you further.

Your luck had run out as you ran strait into a tree, falling back onto your hands you let a frustrated groan fall from your lips. Your head was pounding and your vision still hadn't returned, you figured you just need to rest for a moment.

You used what little strength you had left to scoot around and rest against said tree, letting out a small yawn. Your breathing finally slowed as you shifted around attempting to find comfort on the odd shaped roots, thinking of your next move.

A wave of exhaustion hit you and your head lolled to the side, your shawl bringing you comfort as you wrapped your hand in the thick fabric.

Just as you were about to drift off to sleep you felt your shawl fall down around the rest of your body and you hummed at the sudden warmth, snuggling it against your face.

You were too comfortable to notice that you weren't wearing a shawl, until the tree shifted from beneath you and your eyes snapped open, fear working it's way into your heart.

Attempting to scramble up, your stomach started turning and your breathing sped up, you stumbled away across the damp foliage.

Fuck, what's happening? I can't die here, no no no n-

A searing pain shot through the centre of your head, and you dropped expecting to hit the cold hard ground, instead making contact with a pair of warm arms. Falling limp, your body had a mind of its own and passed out instantly, but not before you heard a modulated voice sound through the empty forest.

"I found you.."