chapter two

beep beep beep

What the hell is that noise?

Attempting to sit up and find the source of the beeping, a searing pain shot through your head, your hand flew up to press against your temple but you couldn't bend your arm.

Your eyes fluttered open and instant panic set in, taking in your surroundings you figured you were in a medbay, how did you get here?

You decided to check in with your body first, pulling the blanket off of your body and gasping at your lack of clothes, noticing you were only wearing your bra and underwear. You couldn't see any obvious lacerations or bruises, so you moved on to your head by feeling around your scalp and face.

Your fingers ran across a small bandage over your temple and you assumed that was the reason for your terrible headache, noticing that your hair was damp and brushed out your breathing sped up with anxiety, how long had you been passed out?

The forest.

Your mind started racing, who the hell was in the forest with you and where the hell did they bring you? Where was your bag? Your heart was beating out of your chest at this point and your breathing became erratic. The heart monitor made an awfully loud screeching sound as you continued to panic, attempting to pull the cannula out of your arm so you could get out of here.

The door flung suddenly flung open and you jumped, ripping the cannula out as you flinched but you couldn't feel it, your eyes were glued to the figure who walked through the door and your heart dropped.

"I, uh I.." you trailed off, pulling your knees to your chest, attempting to find any sort of decency. Your eyes fell to the floor, and you noticed a small pool of blood forming, it must have came from your arm.

Not daring to avert your eyes, you stayed frozen in place as they took quick steps towards you, stepping right into the pool of blood.

You sat completely still, too scared to even flinch, as the masked figure took hold of your arm. Moving quickly, they pressed a gauze pad to your inner elbow and pressed firmly, keeping you held in place for who knows how long.

You finally worked up the courage to shift your gaze, looking towards the masked face, wishing you hadn't. Your throat closed over as your eyes took in what was in front of you, splatters of blood dripped down the mask and onto their clothes.

Still in a state of confusion you failed to realise who was standing in front of you, holding your arm as they took care of your new wound.

Your lower lip began to tremble as your mind flashed with violence, images of your people being slaughtered, your village burning in front of your eyes. You flinched backwards and tried to push yourself as far away from them as possible, ripping your arm from his grip.

"Get away from me" you seethed through gritted teeth, climbing off the bed and backing up as far as possible.

"I'm trying to help you" he spoke through his modulator, showing you his glove clad palms.

You picked up the closest object, a clipboard, and threw it at him in an attempt to get him away from you. "Who the fuck are you?" You shouted, already looking for something else to pick up.

Dodging the clipboard, his fists balled up as his shoulders heaved with deep breaths, anger slowly rising in his chest.

"You wanna play like that?" In the moment it took for you to register that sentence, his hand founds it's way around your throat and pressed you back into the wall, slightly lifting you from the ground.

At this point you were convinced your head injury was making you act like this, especially with a strangers hand wrapped around your throat. The lack of oxygen may have played a part too.

Adrenalin flooded your senses and before you could stop yourself, you gathered all of your saliva and spat right in the centre of his mask, a string of it connecting the two of you as you thrashed around against the wall.

Oh god, what have you done?

Judging from the deep growl that left his chest, you had done it now, surely earning yourself a death sentence. Your back left the wall and was slammed back into it again, your spine screaming at the impact.

"Fuck" you choked out, breath being completely knocked out of you "put me down".

He chuckled, a shiver running down your body at the sound "where's your manners?" his fingers tightened slightly.

Swallowing your pride, you figured the only way you were leaving here alive was to play along with his game.

"Please.." you coughed "please" putting on your best begging face, you hoped it would be enough.

Staring at your reflection in his eye shield your eye lids started to droop, cheeks flushed as your body became weak. Your eyes fell shut, hands falling by your side as you began to lose consciousness.

He made a sound of approval, bringing his other hand up to gently stroke your hair.

"That's it.." you dropped to the floor and gasped in air, wide eyes looking at the intimidating figure standing over you.

Before you could blink he was walking back out the door he came through, leaving you confused and even more anxious than you originally had been.

What the fuck just happened?

Sitting on the floor for a little while longer, you finally stood and wobbled your way to the attached bathroom, locking the door behind you. Turning the faucet on as hot as you could get it, you stripped off what little clothes you had on and stepped in, sighing as the hot water soothed your aching muscles.

You didn't know how long you had spent sitting under the steaming water, head in your hands as you tried to piece together what was happening. You dried off and combed through your hair with your fingers, slipping your bra and underwear back on before looking through all the cupboards for some extra clothes.

Bingo.

Pulling out a set that looked close to your size, you slipped your head through the black crew neck sweater, next pulling on a set of black leggings.

Blinking away your blurry eyes you stepped across the room, bare skin shivering at the harsh floor.

This doesn't look familiar.

Your mind was racing again as you stalked through the dark hall, you had no clue where you even were. Stopping dead in your tracks at a floor to ceiling window your mind finally caught up, and your heart stopped.

You weren't recovering in a nearby hospital, you weren't even on your home planet.

Why did that stranger seem so familiar?

Your eyes glistened at the view, endless star spotted black. Slowly falling to your knees, your hands pressed against the cold glass and your lip began to tremble.

Fear took over every cell in your body as you seemed to snap out of the trance you were in and realised where you were and what had just happened, who you had just encountered.

You were on board the finalizer.