Chapter 14, Lillian Montgomery

Athena was barely able to fend off the villains. Her rope twisted around Stormy Weather, but a blast of lightning threw it free. Her necklace was on its last segment. Suddenly, Cat Noir's staff slammed in front of her.

"Can't let my fellow comedian become a mind controlled zombie." He said with a grin. "Now follow me, I know a place where we can regroup." He vaulted off.

"Where are we going?" She asked. "And what about the others?"

"Ladybug's under Puppeteer's control, Pegasus was zapped by Kwamibuster, Viperion is a Reflekta copy, Rena Rouge is powerless, Ryuko is trapped, and Carapace is who knows where." He tried to open a manhole, but found it locked. "Cataclysm!"

He slid it open. "You coming?"

"...Okay."

They ran for about 30 seconds before Athena's necklace gave a final beep. She tripped in surprise as she turned back to Lillian.

Cat Noir stared at her. "You look familiar, but I can't quite place it." He said.

"Does this mean I can't be Athena anymore?" She asked miserably.

He hesitated. "Well, Ladybug decides who gets to be heroes, and she's not here... And she has no way of knowing that I know your identity..." He grinned.

Lillian gasped. "Thank you thank you thank you!"

Unna moaned.

"Looks like your kwami needs to refuel." Cat Noir remarked. "What do they eat?"

"I don't know. I transformed almost immediately after I met her." Lillian said.

"Candy! I like candy!" Unna declared.

"I only have cheese."

"Cheese is good, too."

"So, what's the plan?" Lillian asked as Unna munched on some of Cat Noir's camembert.

"Maybe find Carapace. The more backup we have, the better. Then after that... I don't know." He said. His ears were flattened and he sighed. "I've never faced a villain without Ladybug. I've never faced anyone alone."

"But you're not alone. You have your kwami, and you have Unna and I." Lillian said, her voice full of sympathy. "And we'll have Carapace soon enough."

Cat Noir smiled. "Thanks, Athena." His ring beeped. "Hold that thought!" He ran behind a corner as Lillian cracked up.

"You all better?" She asked Unna.

"Sure am!"

"Unna, wing it!"