Mataís Cortez

Mataís Cortez was born on September 22nd, 1870 in Madrid, Spain. His parents were Manuel and María Cortez.  He had a younger brother, Antonio. Manuel and María grew and sold wheat.
         When Mataís was a young boy, Mataís dreamt of moving to America, the land of the free, and a beacon of hope. So of course he was overjoyed when his parents announced they were going to immigrate to America.
           Mataís remembers the month long boat ride to America. He kept asking his mother, "¿Ya mismos iiegamos, Mama?" which means "Are we there yet, mother" in Spanish. Mataís remembers seeing the Statue of Liberty welcoming them to New York City when they finally arrived on May 17th,1882.
Mataís and his family and Richard Davis  became close friends. Richard teaches the Cortez family English.
In school, Mataís was better at U.S history than his classmates who were born in America. Mataís was a artistic, tolerant, obedient, smart, and occasionally flirtatious student. Mataís was excellent at all of his classes, but geography was his best subject. His classmates would often ask him to do their geography homework for them.     After Mataís graduated from Harvard University in 1893,Mataís published a book based on his journey to America titled "Hogar, Dulce Hogar" which is "Home Sweet Home" in Spanish. Mataís sold millions of copies of "Hogar, Dulce Hogar". Every library in America had at least on copy of "Hogar, Dulce Hogar".
Mataís had a lot of fortune and glory, but for some reason he felt his life wasn't complete. Mataís felt bored when his life was quite eventful. Mataís felt lonely when he was always surrounded by readers of his novel.What made Mataís feel this way? Mataīs didn't know why and he didn't like it.
        In 1900, Richard Davis, who was now the history Professor at the University of Chicago informed Mataís that the University of Chicago was looking for a Geography Professor, and Mataís applied for the job, and got it!       When he was a professor at the University of Chicago, Mataís didn't wear glasses like most professors since he had good eyes. Mataís had brown eyes and dark hair. Mataís was short and stocky. Mataís naturally looked stylish.
           What type of Professor Mataís was? Professor Cortez was a tolerant, smart, empathic, respectable, and but indecisive Professor. When students or professors had quarrels, Mataís was the peacemaker. Mataís helped Abner in his first year, which was 1903, at the University of Chicago.
On February 14th, 1904 Mataís married another Professor at the University of Chicago, Suzanne Shepard and they have seven daughters together: Clara, Antonia, Bianca, Benita, Becca, and Rosella.
         Did Mataís know Indiana Jones? Yes, when Abner and Mataís would have lunches Abner would bring Young Indy with him. Also Mataís went on a lot of excavations and adventures with Abner and young Indy. What did Mataís think of young Indy? Mataís saw a lot of potential in Young Indy, but doesn't like it when he swears.
Mataís died at the age of 70 on July 25th, 1940.All of his daughters inherited their father's fortune equally. Mataís oldest daughter, Clara was given the original manuscript of "Hogar, Dulce Hogar". She could have sold it and got a lot of money out of it, but she kept it so she had a piece of her father with her.