Part 10 - Ignorance is a Virus

The conspiracy theories spread faster than the virus. They exist in the mundane: Vaccines are fake money-making devices. Move into the dangerous yet standard fare: Vaccines cause autism. Wander through the stupid: The needle disappeared (in relation to spring loaded needles in syringes that pull back for safety). They land in the truly bizarre: The vaccine is just an excuse to plant us with microchips so the Luthors can track us.

Lena and her team work seven days a week on little sleep to create and test the vaccine for fast-tracked approval by the FDA. They're all tired and missing their family, but the stupidity that comes on social media is exhausting. That's why, with her team sent home hours ago and the office closed up for the weekend, Lena finally leaves work to await emergency approval. It's nearly eleven PM when Kara gets her wife's call.

"I swear to God, Kara, I'm going to buy an island and just offer to move all of the anti-vaxxers and anti-maskers there. Let them work on herd immunity for smallpox, measles, polio, Covid-19 and anything else they encounter and leave the rest of us to our science."

Kara chuckles across the line because it's a hollow threat... mostly hollow. Inside Lena are two wolves. One wants to save the world and the other fantasizes about strangling board members and tossing their bodies off the balcony as a warning to others. Kara's wolves argue briefly about having Chinese food or pizza for dinner before deciding both are good.

"Good evening to you too, sweetheart. Another long day?"

"Ugh, yes but I have good news." Kara perks up at that announcement and waits. "We've done our part and just need to wait for FDA approval."

"So no work tomorrow?" It's almost too much to hope for. For the past few months, Lena hasn't been more than an indentation in the bed when Kara awakes in the morning... assuming she doesn't just sleep on the couch in her office.

"No work tomorrow," Lena agrees, and Kara pumps a fist in their living room. "I intend to fall into a short coma, no more than a year, and wake up when everyone is inoculated."

"You know everyone's not going to take it."

"Because they're stupid, yes."

"Lena, some people—"

"Have allergies or health conditions that mean they can't take a vaccine. I know, Kara, I know. That's why it's even more important for the rest of us to take them. We need to protect the most vulnerable. Oh, hold on a minute, I'm just walking out."

By now, this is their regular nighttime routine. Lena stops to exchange niceties with the security guard on duty, and Kara waits. It's brief, maybe twenty seconds, but it always brings a smile to Kara's lips. Her wife, the world-saving genius, never forgets to say thank you, to try to be a better part of someone's day and not a worse part. It's a reminder of who Lena is at her core, and Kara loves her for it.

"Okay, all done here. Hmmm, it's getting colder. You need to remember to wear a coat and a scarf so you don't stand out."

"Yes, dear."

"I'll be home in about twenty minutes. Have you already eaten, or do you want me to pick something up?"

"Or? What does or mean?"

Lena's chuckle across the line was a soothing balm. "My mistake. I forgot to whom I'm speaking. Do you want pizza or Chinese, or am I making up words again?"

"You do know me. Extra potstickers, please, and get bacon on my pizza."

"Done and done. I'll call Luigi's when I get to my car and get us the—"