Part 11 - Twas the Night Before Christmas

Twas the night before Christmas, and Kara is out doing some last minute shopping with her little mouse who most definitely is stirring.

"Mom! Mom! Look, they have cookies shaped like snowmen. Can we get them?"

"Can we?" Kara's smile is more of a grimace as she rubs the back of her neck. Children need rules and order, a thing that Lena has made clear since Lori was a concept and not an actualized person. But Kara has never been good at saying no to food or her three-year-old daughter. The assortment of toys and snacks in her cart make that clear. Still, a line does need to be drawn somewhere. "Sweetie, don't you think we have enough sweets? If Mama was here—" Then Lori breaks out the pout and looks up with anime eyes, and Kara is done. Cookies are in the cart, and Kara has one reason to be bad that Lena is out of town.... just the one.

To be fair, Lena has spent more time at home since she and Kara started to date and even more time since Lori came into the picture. Late nights at the office are the exception and not the rule, and on the weekend, email can only be checked three times a day: first thing in the morning, right after lunch, and after Lori is tucked in for the evening. However sometimes, work just happens, and Lena will get stuck late or called in on an odd time. Sometimes, she even has to travel. Kara just wishes it wasn't on Christmas Eve.

Lori's gasp has Kara scanning the store for danger before she can realize it's followed by a little squee of joy. With one hand pointing down the aisle, Lori has zeroed in on another shopper. He's a heavyset, older man in black pants with red suspenders over his white shirt. He's crouched slightly, looking at something on a lower shelf and face about three quarters away from them. When he stands and turns, Kara instantly understands her daughter's reaction. Between the bushy white beard, rosy cheeks, and friendly smile, he looks like—

"Santa! Mom, look, it's Santa."

"Oh, wow. It sure does look like him." Kara takes her daughter's pointing hand and gently tugs her daughter away. "He's probably in the middle of some important Christmas shopping. Let's not interrupt—

"Santa, it's me, Lori Luthor-Danvers. Hey, Santa!"

Even as Kara grimaces, the man's smile grows, and he waves back.

"Mom, can we talk to him? Pleeeeeease?"

Kara is hesitant. It's not that she dislikes talking to strangers; after all, everyone is a stranger until you make a friend, but she expects the man gets a lot of this, especially this time of the year. As much as she enjoys interacting with the public as Supergirl, being just plain old Kara Danvers is an oasis in the desert of attention. Even after marrying a world saving billionaire, her life with Lena and their daughter offers her more privacy than if her secret came out.

"Honey, I don't think that..."

But the man gives her a little nod, that 'I know what's going on, and it's fine' gesture that Supergirl has given to many a parent over the years, so they approach.

"Santa, this is my Mom. We're shopping," Lori proudly announces as the man crouches down to her.

He really is a wonderful Santa. All he needs is the red coat and hat, and he's ready for the part. "Well, well, well, hello little Miss Luthor-Danvers. Fancy seeing you here." Lori preens under the attention as the man's gaze flicks to Kara. "Have you been a good girl this year?"

"Yes, I have! Mom, tell him. Tell him, Mom."

"All right, all right already. Santa, I'm sure you have her on the good list, but she definitely deserves it. She's very kind, and she's working very hard in school. She's also an excellent listener... except for the occasional emotional blackmail. She definitely deserves to be on the good list."