thirteen

The after effects of the storm once Louis left the store finally calmed. All the customers that once witnessed the madness at its peak are long gone, leaving the tension to settle into dust. Niall didn't realize that when he clocked out for break, it would be the last time he ever would.

The walk in the hallway from the break room to the manager's office was eerily silent and Niall felt like his footsteps echoed. He doesn't bother to knock before he enters the office, slowly coming into the view of Tom. It's not like Niall felt nervous quitting, he just felt like it was a momentous occasion.

"Horan, what's the problem now?" Tom groans upon his entrance.

"There's no problem, well that is if you don't include yourself. Just came in to say I'm leaving," Niall casually states.

Tom looks taken aback and confused at the same time, "Your shift doesn't end for another couple hours."

Niall laughs at his stupidity, "No, Tom. I quit. As in I'm leaving and never coming back."

"Fine. Do as you want. You won't be missed," Tom says, annoyance seeping from his words.

Niall takes off his vest and places it on his desk, turning around to leave. Before he does, he looks back to say one last thing.

"Oh, and Tom? You deserved so much more than a kick to the balls. Have a fucking fantastic life," Niall says, flipping him off right before he exits the office.

As soon as he's on the other side of the door, he hears a large thud hit the door as if Tom tried to throw something at him and failed. Niall quickly rushes to get his belongings and once he's all set, he runs through the front of the store frantically laughing. He makes sure to wish his more beloved coworkers a farewell before he's finally free of the grocery store.

Not long after, he arrives at Harry's apartment with adrenaline still coursing through his veins. All he can hope is that Harry has beers at the ready for him. Niall knocks on his door, feeling the wood beneath his knuckles. Seconds later, Louis throws the door back and shouts in excitement.

"Niall! The man of the hour!" Louis exclaims, pulling him into a hug.

"Tommo! We're free!" Niall laughs joyously.

He sees Harry peak around the corner holding a beer out for him to grab. It hasn't been but an hour or two since they last saw each other, but Niall was sure grateful to see him. Harry has done so much for him lately and he's unsure of how to repay him, he just wants him to know how much he appreciates all he's done.

Niall steps over to Harry once Louis has let go of him. Harry's standing with such a happy expression, one that Niall thinks could partially be the effect of a few beers. He happily takes ahold of the bottle Harry brought for him and slings his free arm around his neck to bring him into a hug.

"Hi," Harry hiccups.

With the widest grin Niall could muster, he replies, "Thank you, Harry—and before you tell me not to thank you, just know I am so grateful for everything you've done for me."

Harry shakes his head innocently, holding back an eye roll, "I think you know at this point I'd do anything I can to help you."

Their heartfelt moment is quickly interrupted by Louis, "Oiy, you lot are going to make me sick. Niall chug a beer, won't ya? And Harry, invite Liam over so I'm not third-wheeling. I should meet the lad I'll be working with."

While the two of them have only had a few hours to get to know each other, Louis disregards his manners and is quick to inform them of his demands. Niall looks over to Harry and they share a similar look, but regardless they're both complicit. He hands Niall the beer he was holding and replaces it for the phone in his back pocket. As Harry walks off to the side to call Liam, he can clearly see Niall down the bottle with Louis cheering him on.