six

Niall stares in an almost disbelief state at Harry as he exits the store. The last thing he expected was to be handed his usual coffee order by the lad. Realizing he has to get back to work, the cashier turns to the next customer in line as he goes through the regular transaction process. Niall is really left speechless as he hardly engages in small talk with the next few customers. Eventually he's given a break as his line has dissipated gradually, leaving him alone.

He picks up his coffee he set aside and notices there's something written on the lid. He can't imagine the Starbucks employee wrote that message so it's easily evident that it came from Harry. He smiles knowing it was yet another invitation to dinner. When he told Harry that he wished he didn't work for another few hours, he really meant it. He wishes he could go over to Harry's for dinner today.

The kind gesture was enough to make him realize how sweet of a person Harry is. Of course he knew the lad was persistent, but Niall was really appreciative of the effort Harry was putting in just to get him to go on a date. If Harry had just stuck around a little while longer, Niall thinks he would have overcome his well-kept nerves and asked for his number. He doesn't show it, but Niall occasionally gets nervous around Harry because, well, he's an extremely attractive bloke. That would be enough to make anyone timorous if Harry showed interest in them.

Niall takes a sip from his iced latte as he stares off into space. However, Louis is quick to bring him back into reality.

"Harry drop that off for you?" Louis asks, having to repeat it a second time since Niall was in a trance.

"What?" Niall says. "Oh— yea he did. How'd you know?"

Louis smiles in response, "He came by in the morning to ask if you were working, he's a nice lad. I hope you agreed to that dinner finally."

Niall feels bad when he has to admit that he technically hasn't yet. He's not really quite sure himself why he hasn't agreed to it yet. At first it was because he didn't really know Harry that well. His initial invitation came during their second interaction and Niall thinks it started more as a joke, but soon after he realized it became a serious request.

He didn't recognize it at first, but Niall soon became very fond of Harry visiting him at work. It was practically the only source of communication they had to each other and it required Harry to come in to talk rather than a measly text. Niall knew that Harry always referred to him as his favorite cashier, but he's never made it apparent to him that he's his favorite customer. Niall is now aware he has to do something.

"I haven't yet," Niall answers. "but I'm going to tomorrow."

"I'm glad to hear it. I have to get going now, but have a good evening, Niall," Louis replies.

The next day, Niall felt very fortunate he had the day off. His work schedule is always quite grueling since he has to work so often to make ends meet. He can barely make enough to pay month's rent and he knows something has to change soon. With his busy schedule, Niall hasn't given much time into pursuing relationships. But despite that, Harry has come into his life in such a seemingly unconventional way that he feels he has to pursue their budding relationship.

He decides to pop into Harry's music store to finally get his number. They've gotten lucky so far with seeing each other every time they go into the other's work, but Niall doesn't want to push it. It'll be easier to communicate via text and it will give them more time to talk and actually plan that damn date.

Around noon, Niall finds himself rushing to get ready. He wants to dress nice since Harry doesn't get to see him in his normal clothes often. He's always wearing his work uniform and he wants to actually feel decent in his appearance. Niall wastes no time in throwing on clothes and getting ready and he soon finds himself in his car, driving a few minutes to his destination.

His heart is racing when Niall finds himself parked in front of the store. He doesn't know what type of car Harry drives so he's unsure if the lad is even working today. Nevertheless, he exits his vehicle and walks a few steps to the door. Upon entering, he feels a sigh slip past his lips when he doesn't notice Harry.

Instead, he sees Harry's coworker who greeted him the last time Niall came in. Niall doesn't feel nervous anymore, but decides to at least talk to the employee.

"Hey! Niall, right?" He asks.

"Yea, that's me," Niall offers a smile. "Harry isn't working?"

"Unfortunately not, he has the day off," He explains. "I'm Liam by the way."

"Liam, do you mind if I write down my number for you to give to Harry?" Niall finds himself asking.

Liam smiles, "Sure."

Liam finds a piece of paper and pen and hands it to Niall.

"Harry is going to be really happy, I can already tell," Liam adds on.

Niall looks up after he finishes writing his number, "You think?"

"Definitely," He grins. "He talks about you a lot."

Niall feels a blush coat his cheeks. As often as he thinks about Harry, it feels sort of weird to Niall knowing that Harry possibly thinks about him as much as he does. He hands Liam the piece of paper back.

"Thank you, I appreciate it," Niall says before wishing him a good day and leaving.

[ x ]

Back at Harry's apartment, Harry receives a text from Liam.

Niall came in

Once his eyes land on those words, Harry finds himself standing up.

He quickly shoots Liam a text asking why. Well first he sent a lot of exclamations before he came to his senses. Of course Niall would come in when he wasn't working, Harry thinks to himself.

He wanted me to give you his number, Liam replies back.

Now Harry is really cursing to himself. He's upset that he has the day off. He originally was supposed to be working, but Liam needed to switch shifts for another day so he could go to an appointment later in the week. Harry immediately asks Liam to send him the number, but Liam has decided to be a twerp and make Harry come into the store to receive it.

Figuring it was pointless to argue with his coworker further, Harry hops into his car and drives to work. He genuinely can't believe Niall came in with the intention of giving him his number. Harry is filled with joy just thinking about it. He figured it was about time since he felt like Niall has played a quite stubborn game. Not that it's a game, but Harry wondered when Niall would finally agree to a date.

As soon as he arrives, he races into the store and locks eyes with Liam.

"You!" Harry says, pointing a finger at Liam angrily.

Liam just laughs in response. He thinks it's funny to see Harry so worked up about the situation. Without saying anything, he hands Harry the sheet of paper with Niall's number on it and smiles smugly.

Harry grabs the paper from his hand harshly and immediately leaves the store. Harry isn't really that upset, he's just being dramatic and feels like Liam deserves the silent treatment. Once he gets back into his car, he finally looks at the sheet of paper. Along with Niall's number, he also left a neatly scribbled message that read: When's our date?

Harry smiles widely as he grabs his phone from his back pocket and inputs Niall's number into his contacts. He quickly decides to send a text to Niall before he heads back home.

Are you available on Saturday?