ten

"Harry!" Chester shouts once he sees the lad enter through the shop door.

"Good morning, sir. You seem quite happy," Harry laughs.

It's not often that he sees Chester over the top cheerful. There's a different light glimmering in his eyes as crinkles of joy surround them. There's been a recent running joke between Harry and Liam that the owner is a grumpy old man except when he puts on a good mood around customers. They're pretty sure it has to do with his retirement approaching soon. As much as Chester hates the idea of leaving something he put his heart and soul into, his wife's feelings will always trump it. Retirement was inevitable, however.

"Say, do you think you could help me with something?" Chester questions.

"Sure, what is it?" Harry accepts quickly.

"Today Agnes' and I are celebrating our forty year anniversary. Can you see if Niall can come in after we close? I was thinking you guys could sing our favorite song for us," Chester explains.

Harry smiles, "Of course. I'll call Niall in a moment. Would you want me to decorate the shop to make it look special?"

Chester immediately agrees, thinking it's a wonderful idea. He notifies Harry that he's going to request that Liam come in early so it would allow Harry to go out to the shops and pick up decorations. Harry beams at Chester's adoration for his wife. Even after forty years together, he still wants to shower her with love and surprises. Agnes has come into the store quite a few times to see Chester and Harry thinks she's the sweetest lady out there, besides from his own mum. Occasionally she'll drop by just to surprise him with his favorite meal for lunch.

Clutching onto his phone, Harry excuses himself to call Niall as he steps into the back office. The store has been open for about half an hour now, but there's only been one customer to enter, which now leaves the shop temporarily vacant. He clicks on Niall's contact and holds his phone to his ear as he waits for Niall to answer. After the third ring, the Irish lad is connected to the call.

"Niall, please tell me you don't work today," Harry rushes out excitedly.

"No, I don't. Everything okay?" Niall questions, concerned.

Harry begins to explain the situation and asks if he would be alright with accompanying him to the shops to get decorations, as well as performing a song with him later tonight. Harry tries his best to describe Chester's marriage and how much it would mean to the owner if he agreed. And although Niall doesn't know the couple well, Harry has proven himself to be very reliable so it's easy to take his word for it. Not to mention, the lad was kind enough to provide him a much needed and appreciated second job so Niall felt like he owed it to him. Regardless, it didn't take much convincing in the first place so Niall quickly agrees.

In less than twenty minutes, Niall arrives at the music store and they decide to take his car to the shops. A couple minutes prior, Liam had clocked in early as not to leave Chester working alone.

Harry ducks down swiftly to enter the passenger side of Niall's car, shooting him a smile as they make eye contact. After he fastens his seat belt, Harry realizes he's still wearing his name tag attached to his lanyard so he slips it off and stuffs it in his front pocket.

"What's on our shopping list?" Niall asks after beginning to drive.

Harry runs a hand through his long hair as he ponders about it, "I was thinking string lights, candles, and flowers."

Niall hums softly, "So how long have you known Chester?"

"Since I was eighteen," Harry states. "He's been like a second father to me and he helped grow my passion for music."