C28 - Nightmares Departed

The six poured into the General's ship, assuring to take with them the proof of their victory, in the form of the permanently-shocked Pepper himself. They made their due respect to him in this preparation, but nothing more, laying the still body onto his bed, and leaving it at that for the moment. It was a surreal experience, to be the undertakers of this event, a perhaps celebratory but no less requiring process of handling the dead leader of their planet.

The first thing to do, before taking off, was transfer the prisoner.

"Hey, Sarge," Wolf greeted Grey, as he came back into the room.

The tied-up dog, in minimal plainclothes, only growled, for an undignified reply.

Fox walked in, and looked down. "What's that? I thought dogs like you could do more than growl."

Bill widened his eyes. "I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD BY NOW!" he barked.

"That's more like it," the vulpine captain remarked, and took one of the ropes, dragging the disheveled Sergeant along with Wolf.

"Where are you two traitors taking me? Pepper will hear about this, no doubt!" Grey howled.

"Oh? Well... Your General is dead, I'm pleased to inform you," O'Donnell smirked.

"...What?" Bill said, in a far tinier voice, as they went from one ship to the other. "How can you know that? Preposterous."

"I should know. I shot him myself," Wolf simply answered.

"Right through the head," Fox detailed further, sounding exhausted.

"Jeez, get some rest, Foxy," O'Donnell suggested.

"What was that?" Fox asked, with a somewhat amused expression.

"Foxy," Wolf repeated, and smirked.

"Hm," the captain smiled back, and turned away for the time being.

Grey remained still and silent, as he was put into his new holding room, one of the numerous ones on the ship.

• • ● • •

Wolf stayed a while, now, to gaze upon the body that he himself rendered dead. It was still a fact that didn't yet fully set in, with how big it really was. He observed the clean hole that the blast made through the skull, and the now blank expression on the bloodhound's face. Never had he so ruthlessly done something like that, throughout even his days as the leader of the Star Wolf team. He looked down at himself, and then into a fancifully-decorated bathroom, looking into the digital mirror. His fur was rough, and a little dirty, and he realized he hadn't showered since he was last on Bolse, the war-moon now reduced to rubble.

He sighed, and stepped back out to the rest of the team, who were mostly observing the highly technical and ornate features of the dead General's ship.

"I wonder how much he spent on these," Slippy said about a set of missile controls.

"More than what he ever needed," Miyu replied.

"And definitely more than what he ended up using. Hah!" Wolf borked in jest.

Peppy jumped. "Your voice still scares me!" he shakily said afterwards.

"Y'know... I think you should retire after this, Peppy," O'Donnell made his remark, after this observation of the scared hare. "You're going to need some rest."

"I'll rest, for sure, but I'm not leaving Star Fox until I'm too deep in the ground to fly," Peppy shook his head.

"I don't know about that, myself," Falco speculated. "I might do something of my own."