C9 - Don't You Forget About Me

Supreme General Pepper got his plate of breakfast, and flipped the news on while he ate, before heading to his high duty. He wore a casual shirt, though he never really was a slob about anything. He lurched over, taking a bite of egg, while flipping to the news.

"Welcome to CNB's new programming, dedicated to coverage of the ongoing war against Andross. Recent developments have been made, as signals have picked up a new announcement from Venom. It shows a potential rival to Star Fox."

"Mornin', Supreme," Bill greeted, walking out with a glass of orange juice, sipping lightly.

"Hey, mornin', Sarge," Pepper nodded in reply. "Gonna get to work on the offense's plan? Wait for when I can help advise you."

"I was gonna watch this with ya, here, General. They picked up a video from Venom, I read," Sergeant Grey stated.

"Hm. I must have received it by now, but I haven't checked. Let's watch," Pepper agreed.

They watched as the Emperor Andross gave this lengthy speech about Corneria's destruction, and the rebuilding of a freer state. Leon, Pigma, and Andrew all processed onto the screen.
"All a bunch of criminals. I exiled them personally," Pepper gruffed. "Damned good pilots, but no match for F—"

Wolf made his way onto the screen next. "Hello, Corneria. Welcome to your doom."

Bill couldn't help but spray out the OJ from his nose, and take a step back, covering his snout in both pain and surprise. "SHIT, THAT'S—"

"Oh my God," Pepper said, in a quieter but equal shock, leaning in.

"Corneria will burn. Its elderly General's transgressions have gone too far. Freedoms are restricted left and right, and its finally time the lot of us got our revenge. Andross, for being too intelligent for Corneria's comprehension. Andrew, for being innocently dragged along. Leon, for having to resort to violence instead of being allowed to speak freely as a non-canine." The video cut out, as Wolf had originally struggled to find a reason why Pigma took this path, but resumed:

"And me. I am Wolf O'Donnell, and General Pepper exiled my parents on an asteroid for speaking their minds, leaving them to die, along with their son. Pepper is a not a General... he is a King, and Corneria shall pay for its mindless servitude to him." Wolf took a stance. "We will raze the planet, and establish it as New Corneria, under Emperor Andross. With the help of my team! Andrew Oikonny, Leon Powalski, Pigma Dengar— and I, Wolf O'Donnell— we make STAR WOLF! AND WE WILL STOP AT NOTHING!"

The screen cut back to the anchor. Bill stood, looking out the window.

"This shouldn't complicate things, now, should it?" the General asked.

"Not at all," Bill sighed. This was his friend... emphasis on WAS. Not anymore. Though he would certainly miss his Wolf friend, to side with Andross was to eliminate all respect. "This so-called Star Wolf is just bootleg, poor-quality Star Fox. All bark and no bite."

"Alright. Let's end this ASAP, though," General Pepper borked softly. "Wolf chose his own fate, as a traitor. So be it, if he loses his life at our hands.

• • ● • •

Fox looked at the television screen with an astonished face, as did Falco and Miyu, in their room. They all sat on the bottom bunk, with the lynx covering her mouth at the sight of a Cornerian traitor.

"Wolf," Falco blinked, astonished. "But— why?"

Although Falco was searching for this answer, Fox started to recollect a few things. "I... always got the notion that he was dissatisfied with Corneria," he spoke softly. "He sorta broke it off with Bill, and you know how he feels about things— But to the point of leading Andross's team, meant to rival us? I..."