Five of Spades - Part Two

As soon as the game started, it was revealed that they were being hunted by 'it' with a gun.

If she were to be honest, Kurenai was a little surprised by the game.

By now, she had experience with the games. And Glasses from her first game was kind enough to explain the different suits representing the different types of games. She came in prepared, knowing that there would be deaths here and there. However, this was her very first physical game. Up until now, Kurenai only had to use her brain. This was brand new territory for her.

On the other hand, the other players were running around like headless chickens.

Many of them were newcomers, not familiar with the rules and did not know what was waiting for them if they were to lose. Too busy mulling over the rules, about half of them had forgotten to look for the safe zone. Those who were actively looking for it, however, were now all too busy running away from 'it'.

It was a little unfair, Kurenai thought.

This apartment complex was big, with easily up to a hundred or even more doors for them to open. They were given no clue as to where the safe zone could be, just that there was one. Thirty minutes and a machine gun on their tails, this game was practically rigged against them.

"Ah...am I going to die here after all I've done?"

While focusing on the game, Chishiya could not help but be fascinated by the woman next to him. She seemed experienced, but judging from the condition of her dress, she could not have arrived more than a few days ago. Unless she participated in an Ace game, she must have no more than two games in her pocket.

"How long ago did you arrive in Borderland?" Chishiya asked.

"Hm...this is my fourth night here."

As suspected, only a few days ago.

"And how many games have you participated in?"

Kurenai turned to face him and with a grin, held up four wiggling fingers. "Including tonight." And she was back to observing.

Four nights in Borderland, and she participated in four games. That was one game per night. Did she not understand that each game came with a visa allowance, which meant she did not need to participate in a game until that allowance was ending? Was this woman clever or stupid?

For the first time ever, since arriving in Borderland (or perhaps even in his life), Chishiya could not figure someone out. Her expressions were hard to read, with that cheeky smile plastered on her face constantly. She seemed to be enjoying herself a little (and to be honest, so was he to an extent), but at the same time, reckless because she had been non-stop participating.

And without a single scratch on her?

Could he even believe in her words?

RATATATATATATA

The gunshots were a lot louder this time, meaning it was close by. It seemed to be going on for a much longer period of time too.

Instead of cowering in fear of being shot, Kurenai went on tiptoes and leaned as far forward as she could, trying to get a view of what was happening. Then, she saw it. So did Chishiya.

Instantly, something clicked in their minds.

Though both of them figured it out, neither of them moved. There was still time on the clock, which meant 'it' could easily catch up to them if they were to go now. They had to wait for the perfect timing, where there was time for them to clear the game but not enough for 'it' to hunt them down.

"Hey everyone! Can you hear me?! 'It' is a huge guy dressed up like a horse carrying a machine gun! Let's work together to call out 'it's' location! Those who are out of danger can look for the safe zone!"

A loud voice shouted out, echoing through the apartment complex.

"Hm...that's a good idea," Chishiya hummed. "But no one's going to answer them. In a situation like this, no one trusts each other. Running out into the hallway to search for the safe zone is pretty much suicide, not to mention you're giving away your position by calling out."

"This is getting interesting. Want to bet?" Kurenai smiled. "Someone will answer."

Gosh, it was just surprise after surprise with this woman.

Almost immediately, Chishiya lost the bet.

"'It's' on the sixth floor southern hallway! Anyone nearby run!"

Unexpectedly, the game was taking an interesting turn. Despite being a Spades game, it was starting to look like a Clubs game. Not that Kurenai participated in either prior.

After a few more rounds of gunshots, things suddenly quiet down.

Leaning forward once again, Kurenai could not see anything. No players, no 'it'. Did they all die? Was 'it' coming for them now?

"Are you coming?" Chishiya asked, already heading down the hallway.

"Sure thing," Kurenai smiled.

As they were making their way down, something was bugging Kurenai.

Nothing in the rule stated that 'it' had to actively hunt them down. And with the knowledge of a safe zone, if she was 'it', she would have stayed close to the safe zone and killed all the players who came close. That was a guaranteed 'game over'.

Coming to the fourth floor where 'it' was shooting at one particular door from a distance before, they met another player. As they approached the door, Kurenai grabbed Chishiya by the elbow.

"Something's not right."

"Time's running out, we have no choice."

The other guy opened the door and took a step into the dark room, Chishiya followed behind. Trusting her guts, Kurenai stayed just outside and watched the two men. As she predicted, something was not right.

As they were about to open another door inside, another 'it' came out from the shadows. They managed to get out of the way just in time and Chishiya even tasered 'it' though it was not enough to stun them. Seeing 'it' raising the gun once more, Kurenai did something she never thought she would do.

Acting on impulse, she grabbed Chishiya by his hood and pulled him out of the room, shutting the door. She could hear gunshots going off inside the room but there was nothing she could do for the other guy.

Kurenai did not know why she decided to save Chishiya. She did not understand her own actions. Since her very first game here in Borderland, she had only been playing for herself.

There was that one time where she inadvertently saved someone else's life but only two people were meant to die in that game anyway.

"Thanks," Chishiya whispered.

"You're welcome."

God, now that they were practically inches away from each other and face-to-face, she could tell he was a real good looking guy.

No doubt, her type.