Dynamic Changes - Part One

Feeling like spending her time by the pool today, Kurenai came down from her room only to find that there were no more sun loungers available. She let out a soft sigh, walking by the pool and looking at those laying on the loungers. A couple spotted her and immediately got up, offering their lounger.

With a smile and a nod thank you, Kurenai sat down.

The Beach was just as lively, and while she usually paid no mind to the other members, someone caught her attention today.

Going from group to group were the two newcomers. She could not hear what they were saying but it seemed like they were asking some questions, moving on when they got the answers.

Intrigued, Kurenai abandoned her lounger and followed after the girl.

She knew quite a bit about Arisu, after he attended that executive meeting, but she knew next to nothing about the girl. Kurenai remembered her as the girl who scaled the apartment complex as if she was on flat ground.

It was obvious that their intentions, when joining the Beach, were not to collect cards for Hatter like they were part of his army. That was just a side effect. What they really intended to do was to find the truth, the answer they had all been searching for. Seemed like they did not buy into Hatter's bullshit.

Watching as the girl approached people after people, Kurenai was surprised at how bold she was. Not only was she blatantly going around asking questions, she was checking rooms at the same time. Looking for supplies, perhaps? Or weapons? Whatever it was, she would not be able to find anything.

Noticing a couple of militant members just outside the window, that girl was going to get herself in trouble if she continued.

Kurenai whistled from down the hallway, catching the attention of the girl. She looked like a deer in headlights, and Kurenai could not help but laugh when she saw that tiny bit of fear flickering through her eyes. Where was that fear when you were so boldly opening doors, she thought.

"Can I help you?" she asked.

"Actually, I'm here to help you," Kurenai said, walking up to her. She looked out the window to see the militants looking in, though they were quick to dismiss it when they saw Kurenai. "You can't just go snooping around here and not expect trouble."

"Are you that trouble? Or are you going to get me into trouble?"

"I don't think you need my help getting into trouble," Kurenai smiled. "What's your name?"

She was cautious, not answering straight away. Kurenai liked that about her. People were so quick to let their guards down when provided with a 'safe haven' but she did not. In fact, her walls were probably higher than they were before.

"Don't worry, I don't bite," she said, brushing some fluff off the girl's shoulder. "Well, I bite one person but don't worry, you're not him."

"Usagi Yuzuha. And you?"

"Chuya Kurenai."

"You're the one..."

As she went around asking for information, Usagi heard the name 'Chuya Kurenai' coming up several times. From what she gathered, she was the one who brought them high level cards and continuously brought back cards they needed almost every night. Some even went as far as calling her the 'Queen of Games'.

"You were pretty good in the Tag game," Kurenai said.

"Oh! You were in that game too!"

Now that she was looking at Kurenai up close, she finally recognised her. She was without her red dress, and was not carrying around her heels, but she was that woman. The one who made an inappropriate comment when the game ended.

"Don't go running about, little bunny," Kurenai smiled, stepping away. "Who knows what rabbit hole you might fall into."

"Wait, I have something to ask-"

"Sorry, gone already!"

--

"Where did you go?"

"I didn't peg you as a possessive boyfriend type, Shuntarou."

Kurenai had a habit of waking early and leaving him in the morning, though Chishiya would not call it being possessive when he wanted to know where she went. With the situation here at the Beach now, it would not be surprising to find that she had been taken away during the night, never to be seen again.

"First of all, I'm not your boyfriend," he pointed out. "And I'm not the possessive type."

"Ouch," Kurenai pouted, poking his chest with her index finger. "If not my boyfriend, then what are you? My...lover? Friend with benefits? Oh, my one night stand but it's actually multiple nights."

"Guys please, it's too early in the morning for this," Kuina sighed.

Chishiya caught her hand before she went too low with her finger. He was not about to put a label on this relationship, whatever it was. It did not matter if they were one night stands, or friends with benefits, or more. It was better not to put a label on anything, actually. Perhaps once they returned to the real world, they could think about it.

Their little flirting session was cut short by several gunshots, however.

They were no strangers to the sounds of gunshots. Many times, they were a part of the game. Though, they had grown accustomed to the sound mainly because they often hear it on the Beach. Each gunshot signified a member who 'betrayed' the Beach, whether they tried to run or tried to hide a card.

Still, the little cat in them was a little too curious as they made their way toward the gunshots.

It seemed like they were not the only ones attracted by the sound, however, as Arisu discovered the piles of bodies so crudely disposed of. The look of horror on his face was almost cute.

"That's the Beach's rule. Death to all traitors," Chishiya said, catching the attention of Arisu as they were coming down the steps.

To be honest, while Kurenai was used to hearing the gunshots and definitely had knowledge of what they did to the 'traitors', she could never get used to the smell of the decaying bodies. Surely there were better ways of disposing the bodies. Certainly more hygienic ways.

"Let's talk somewhere else."

The four of them headed up to the roof of the hotel, a place where almost nobody else would go. It was perfect for talking in private. Though, it was not a place Kurenai would have chosen.

"Must you choose the rooftop?" Kurenai sighed, carefully peeking over the edge. God, it was high up. She let out a scream when she was suddenly grabbed on the arm but it was just Chishiya trying to pull her away from the edge. "Damn you, Shuntarou."

"I didn't mean to scare you."

"Yeah, well you did."

"I'm sorry to interrupt you two, but what are we doing here? What do you want to talk about?"