Prologue 3: Getting Adopted

[I've added some stuff about her quirk!]
[Slight curse warning!]

~~~

She never thought this day would come.

She was 13 now, and it had only been a few weeks after her encounter with Delilah that she was called to the "meeting room". They told her that someone wanted to see her and get to know her better.

Someone that apparently wanted to be her parent.

...

...

...

Well, you can't exactly blame her for being sceptical.

After years and years of being shunned for my quirk and my parent, someone suddenly pops out of nowhere wanting to take care of me? What kind of joke is this?

But she went along with it anyways.

Maybe....I'll finally find another home and move on?

She begrudgingly followed Mister Hirano, the social worker that brought her the news but was also absolutely terrified of her. She figured that he drew the short end of the stick, so she walked quite a bit away behind him to hopefully lessen his anxiety as he eventually twisted open the door for her to go in. He stood semi awkwardly at the door, as he was trying to get as far away from her as physically possible while still holding onto the doorknob that swung in towards the room.

And that's why I very much doubt that anyone would want to associate with me, let alone be in charge of my daily needs and well being.

She stepped inside, also subtly distancing herself from the social worker. She took note of the middle aged man sitting in front of the wooden table opposite a chair that was obviously for her.

He wore a blue flannel shirt and looked quite fit, though he was barrel chested. His dark hair partially covered his magenta eyes, gazing at you in a relaxed manner with both arms resting on the table, patiently waiting for Sayua to take a seat.

Is meeting your potential adoptive parent for the first time suppose to be this awkward?

She went over at sat down at the chair, the scraping of the chair with the floor breaking the silence in the room. The silence lasted a little longer before the door clicked shut and Mister Hirano left without another word. They just stared at each other, not knowing what to do.

Am I suppose to say something? Orrrr?

"Hello Sayua, I'm Yuu Sasaki. I'd like to be your father, if you'd let me," he smiled kindly at her.

She stared at him with eyebrows furrowed, contemplating what to say.

~~~

Unbeknownst to her, he was actually sweating under her serious gaze, even when he couldn't see her eyes under the long fringe.

Why is this kid so serious? It's honestly kind of terrifying.

Yuu took in the the teen before him - her four delicate arms and long, waist-length murky purple hair with a fringe that hid any emotions that she could have expressed. She wore a pale blue sweater that surprisingly, had four sleeves for her arms to fit through, though it seemed a little tight on her and a pair of brown pants that almost touched the ground. He guessed that the sweater was one she had before being an orphan, as her file said that she's been at this orphanage for only a year.

"Why?" She finally spoke, her voice bland and devoid of emotion. It took a while for what she said to register, but...

Well...

~~~

"I know what it feels like to be judged by your quirk, Sayua," he said after a small pause.

She took another look at the man.

He doesn't have any obvious mutations, but

She tilted her head up a little so she faced him, "What's your quirk?"

His smile, which he's held up so far, fell a little at her question. "I have a quirk called Death's Eyes," he scratched the back of his head, "When I activate it, anyone who meets my eyes dies instantly"

Holy shit...I can't imagine the amounts of hate he gets for his quirk. It's so much worse than mine!

But she didn't look away from him, though her mouth gaped involuntarily.

"Yeah," he chuckled lightly at her expression, "I don't tell people about my quirk at all, if I can avoid it. Though with quirks playing such a big part in our society, it can't be helped," his tone turn bitter towards the end, "That's why I want to take care of you - to spare you the same fate as I did as a kid, and gain a new family member along the way."

She finally regained enough brain cells to close her mouth.

After that miniature rollercoaster, she decided to offer a little speech herself, "A few weeks ago, someone told me that it doesn't matter how villainous someone's quirk seems. What matters is that they use it for good," the corners of her lip twitched up, "I'd love to be your daughter, Mister Sasaki, but only if you let me become a hero."

He smiled, relieved, "Of course, though I'd appreciate that you help me at my work, you're welcome to train whenever you're free. I'm financially well off, so I can pay for whatever hero school you go to. Aside from that, you'll also get an allowance every month along with being paid for the work at my company. Are you okay with that?"

She finally smiled - not widely, mind you, but it was a smile nonetheless. She nodded, happy at the idea of living as a family again after the lost of her mother.

"Then come on!" He stood up with a giant grin on his face, "I'll sign all the papers," he paused at the doorway, turning around to look at you with that grin still on the face, "Then we can go home."

Home?

She paused a little before getting off her chair and following him down the hallway, her heart jumping with a mix of excitement, happiness and hope.

I'm going home.