Prologue 1: When Everything Started Going Downhill

Growing up, she had two important people in her life: her mom and her best friend, Kane.

Before her quirk manifested, she had plenty of friends - she had been told that she was little ray of sunshine, always cheering people up without even realising it.

When she was 7, her quirk finally manifested and most people were horrified. They thought her quirk was terrifying and villainous, so they just left. Not her mom though - her mom had the same quirk and was always very supportive of her throughout her life.

She always reassured her that everything would be okay.

Despite that people at school started bullying her, her few friends defended her, even when they couldn't do anything to the teachers that hated her. Her friends, along with her mothers words, had helped her live through her elementary school life.

~~~

After the first day of middle school, she came back to an empty household - that was fine, her mom usually wasn't back from work yet at this time, though it would have been nice to vent about her day with her. She turned on the television in the living room so there would be some background noise to fill in the silence of their apartment as she cooked a simple lunch for two, hoping to surprise her mom when she came back.

She was frying some eggs when the TV started blaring with the sound of sirens.

"-ring a large scale attack at Endeavour's hero agency, multiple villains were apprehended as their leader, the infamous Black Widow was badly injured in the fire that ensued. She-"

The newsreader's voice was drowned out as she focused on someone that was being carted into an ambulance on a stretcher. The heavily burned individual wore a skintight red and black suit along with a shattered mask, revealing the still recognisable face underneath.

She didn't register the smell of burning.

"m-mom?"

~~~

Later that night, the police came to her house to take her.

After an interrogation, they deemed her innocent and sent her to an orphanage where everyone avoided her like the plague. Still, they let her continue to go to school for the rest of the year, as the fees had already been paid.

Back at school, everything had gotten a lot worse.

Bullies weren't scared to physically hurt her anymore, using the fact the her mother was a villain to justify it. The teachers that normally turned a blind eye to the bullying joined in themselves.

The few friends she had abandoned her and it hurt.

Kane, her best friend since forever...

Hurt. the. worse.

"Your mother was a monster, Kiyama!" He called her by her last name, "What says you aren't a monster too?!"

Then he left.

And just like that...

She

Was

Alone.

It wasn't until much, much later in her life that she found out that his father was killed in that incident, too.