Chapter Three

*Shelby's POV*

"Jesus Christ Shelby, you scared the shit out of me!" Toni yelled as she jumped a foot in the air. 

"Sorry! I yelled at you a second ago but you have your headphones on, so I guess you didn't hear me," I said as Toni resumed taking a drink from the water fountain. 

"No I didn't," she said as she whipped the excess water off her mouth. 

"Well I just wanted to wish you good luck before the game." 

"Scrimmage," she corrected me. 

"Game, scrimmage, whatever," I replied which caused her to laugh, which made me smile. 

"Thanks, Shelbs, I'll talk to you afterwards," she said and walked back over to her teammates. I looked over at the stands and saw Martha waving me over to her. I smiled and walked over to her and her parents. 

"Hey Martha, hi Mr. and Mrs. Blackburn," I said as I sat down next to Martha. 

"Hey kiddo, how are you doing?" Mr. Blackburn said to me as Mrs.Blackburn smiled and waved at me. 

"I'm doing good, thanks," I said and he smiled at me in return. I looked over at Martha, "so, what's the difference between a 'scrimmage' and a game?" I asked and Martha kind of chuckled. 

"You're dating a football player and you don't know the difference?" She asked as we botch watched Toni stretch and talk to her teammates. 

"Hey, I don't like football that much, so I just kind of show up, I like basketball though," I said, to which she nodded at. 

"Makes sense, but a scrimmage is just a practice game with the girls on the team." 

"Ohhh, I get it," I replied, nodding my head in understanding. Toni and the other girls all stood up and divided themselves into two teams. It looked like they had Toni and another girl take turns in picking, then, Toni and her team all took off their shirts, leaving them in sports bras. I felt my cheeks get warm as I glanced a Toni's abs. She looked over at us and I quickly looked away, acting as though I was staring at something else. I heard Martha snicker and I quickly looked at her. 

"What?" I asked. 

"Nothing, nothing," she said, slightly smirking. I shrugged and looked back over on the court, where Toni was checking the ball in. My eyes kept going back and forth between her face and her stomach, and that feeling I use to get whenever Andrew and I first started dating was popping up. I shook my head, trying to snap myself out of it, I'm not even into girls, and I'm am happy with Andrew, things have just been a little rough the past week or so. 

The game went pretty fast, it only lasted about forty-five minutes, but Toni killed it and her team won, which I only knew cause Martha was keeping track since there wasn't a scoreboard. Toni walked over to her bag and changed from her basketball shoes to her slides before walking over to Martha and I. 

"Killed it, as always," Martha said as Toni walked up to us. 

"Why thank ya Marty," Toni said with a smile before looking at me. 

"Yeah, good job T," I said and gave her a hug, wrapping my arms around her bare back, which made my heart jump a little. Toni placed her hands on my hips and hugged me back. 

"Thanks Shelbs," she said with a small smile. I looked over at Martha and she had that same smirk from earlier on her face again. I ignored it this time and looked down at the ground. "Where'd you parents go?" Toni asked Martha. 

"They went to start the car and get the A/C going," Martha said, Toni nodded at that. 

"Alright, I'm sweaty and in desperate need of a shower so let's get going Marty, Shelbs, we'll see you later?" Toni said looking over at me. 

"Yup, see you guys in a few," I said with a nod. Martha and Toni smiled as they walked out of the gym. I went to the bathroom before checking my phone, seeing that I missed a call from Andrew. I clicked on the notification and called him back, he answered after a few rings. 

"Hey babe, what time do you want me to pick you up tonight?" He said, to which I let out an annoyed sigh. 

"Andrew, I told you I can't go to the party, I'm hanging with the girls," I said while walking out of the school and heading towards my car. 

"I thought you were kidding," Andrew said, sounding confused. 

"Why would you think that?" I asked, getting increasingly more and more annoyed. 

"Because you never cancel our plans," he said matter-of-factly, which I rolled my eyes at. 

"Well I guess there's a first time for anything," I said and he audibly scoffed. 

"Whatever," he said, hanging up on me. 

"Are you fucking kidding me?" I said out loud to no one. I threw my phone in the passenger seat as I got into my car. Things like this have been happening a lot more often the past few weeks, we just keep bickering over dumb stuff. He just expects me to drop whatever or whoever for him, and I'm not gonna do that. I try to push the fight out of my mind and head back to my house to get ready to go hang with the girls later. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

its past midnight where I live so merry Christmas/happy Friday! gonna post at least one more part tonight, thanks for reading guys!