Chapter Seventeen

**Shelby's POV** 

I walked into school and went frantically walked to Toni's first hour. I showed up about fifteen minutes earlier, in hopes to be there before she was, and it worked. I stood next to the doorway for about ten minutes, staring at the clock on my phone and scanning the hallway the whole time before I saw Martha and Toni approaching. I gave Toni a small smile as we made eye contact, which she did not return as she approached the classroom. 

"Toni, can we talk for a second," I said as I stepped in front go her to block her path. 

"Nope," Toni replied simply, attempting to sidestep past me. 

"Toni, please," I said as I grabbed her arm. She looked at me for a moment before letting out a sign and walking to the bathroom, I quickly followed behind her. 

"What?" She asked as the door closed behind us. 

"I just wanted to talk about last night," I said, and she stared at me, waiting for me to continue. "I just, I didn't mean to act like that, I just got anxious about Martha and then my parents, and I took it out on you, which isn't fair," I said. 

"No, it's not fair," Toni replied simply, walking past me and towards the door to leave. 

"Wait, I-" I tried to say before Toni turned and cut me off. 

"I can't do this right now, Shelby," she said before walking out the door, leaving me alone. I stood there for a moment, shocked at how badly that went. I wasn't expecting her to be completely okay with everything, but I didn't think she would be so mad. Not knowing what to do now, I decided to just go to my class and try to talk to her again next period, which is the class we have together. 

My first period went by slow, we just worked on some assignment the teacher had passed out at the beginning of class, which wasn't due until tomorrow, so I spent most of class trying to figure out what to say to Toni. I knew I had messed up, I didn't mean to be so snappy with her, I should have heard her out but I was just so anxious about my parents and everything that I wasn't really listening to what she was saying. Class final ended and I walked to Toni's locker, hoping to maybe catch her during passing period, but saw that she wasn't there so I decided to just wait for her to get to class. 

I sat down at an empty table and stared at the door, waiting for Toni to walk in. After about three minutes, passing period ended and Toni still wasn't here. I thought she might have just been running late but after ten minutes of waiting, I realized she was skipping. 'Great' I thought to myself, I reached into my pocket and pulled my phone out, going to my texts messages. 

To: T

Me: where are you?  

I sent about five more texts throughout the class, none of which she answered, and eventually the bell rang. I was walking to my next period, my face practically in my phone when I heard someone yell my name. 

"Shelbs!" They said and I turned around to see Fatin walking towards me. "Hey bitch, so, how did the talk with Toni go?!" She said as she got up beside me. 

"Terrible," I said plainly and Fatin's eyes got wide. "I mean the talk went well, but afterward, it went to shit," I said. Fatin gave me a confused face before she grabbed my arm and yanked me to the side door we were walking past and dragged me out of the school. 

"Alright, give me the details," she said as we made our way over to the same bench we were on the day before. I told Fatin what happened, and she was super excited until I told her about that night. "Ooo, Shelbs, you fucked up," she said as I finished. 

"Thank you, that was incredibly helpful," I said as I rolled my eyes, hoping she was gonna give me some actual advice. 

"So have you tried to talk to her since?" She asked. 

"Yeah, I tried this morning in the bathroom but she basically blew me off, and then she skipped our class together," I explained and Fatin nodded. 

"Well, since she's never here for lunch and you guys don't have any more classes together, just show up at her practice, seemed to work pretty well last time," she said and I nodded. 

"Yeah, that's true, and I guess it's the choice I have since she won't answer my texts," I said. I rubbed my forehead with my hand, how did I already fuck up so badly? 

"Hey," Fatin said as she reached over and grabbed my hand, "don't stress too much about it, okay? It'll all work out, Toni's softer then a teddy bear for you, she just needs to blow off some steam, which is another reason why you should wait till after practice," she finished. I lightly laughed at her before smiling, showing my appreciation of her kind words. We sat there for a moment in silence, before Fatin stood up and reached down to give me a hand before pulling me up. We both walked back into school and went our separate ways to our classes, where my teacher gave me an annoyed look as I walked in ten minutes late. 

When the last bell rang, signaling the end of school, I walked out and to my car, taking out my phone in preparation to kill about an hour as Toni practiced. I only lasted about fifteen minutes until I got bored, so I turned the car on and pulled it around to the side of the parking lot, where I could see Toni practicing. She seemed to be doing much better today, not nearly as angry as she was yesterday before we talked, which hopefully was a good sign. After about thirty minutes, I saw a raindrop hit my windshield, and I looked up at the sky, seeing a few dark clouds that seemed to be heading our way. 

The rain slowly started and kept getting increasingly worse till it was almost a downpour, which made the girls end practice about twenty minutes early. I saw Toni walk over to her bag before she quickly threw it over her shoulder and started jogging in the direction of her and Martha's house. I turned my car on and drove over towards her till I was driving next to her and she finally looked over and saw me. I rolled the window down, thinking she was gonna stop, but she kept on running, ignoring me. 

"Toni! Get in the car!" I yelled over the noise of the rain, but she just kept running. "Toni, please, you're gonna get sick!" I yelled, she looked over at me, stopping briefly, and I mouthed 'please' again. She looked away for a second before she looked back at me, and walked over to my car. I unlocked the door and rolled the window back up as she got in. 

"Thank you for getting in," I said as she buckled her seat belt. 

"Just take me home please," she said, I felt a jab in my chest at the harshness of her words, but I nodded as I put the car back in drive and pulled away from the curb. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys!! hope you all had a great day, I haven't been feeling the best so sorry if the parts are kind of slacking, but I promise they'll get back to normal next week, again, if you see any mistakes please comment so I can fix them, hope you all are having a good weekend!!