Chapter Twenty-One

**Shelby's POV**

"Here," Toni said as she grabbed underneath my legs and lifted up slightly to set me back down on the ground, "go get in the car, you're gonna get sick." I nodded before making a move to go grab my things when Toni grabbed my wrist. "I've got it," she said and motioned to the car, signaling for me to get in. I smiled in appreciation as I walked past her and towards the car. 

Martha smiled at me as I opened the passenger door and climbed in her car. "Sorry Martha, I'm getting your car soaking wet," I said as I sat down and threw my backpack on the floor.

"Oh please, it'll dry, don't sweat it," she said as Toni opened the back door and threw my things in before climbing in herself. 

"Alright Marty, let's get the fuck outta here," Toni said as she slammed the door shut and Martha pulled away from the curb. I heard Toni moving around in the backseat and when I was about to ask her what she was doing she said, "perfect, here Shelbs," and handed me a blanket. 

"Thank you, Toni," I said as I wrapped the blanket around me, my clothes still dripping water onto Martha's car. I felt Toni wrap her arms around me from behind the seat, her hands resting just above my chest, I leaned my head against one of her arms. I could tell that Toni didn't really know what to do, or even say, and I think Martha was scared that I would get upset if she asked about what happened, which I probably would have, so the drive to their house was quiet except for the rain. We pulled into the driveway and Martha turned the car off before looking at Toni. 

"You need any help grabbing anything Toni?" She asked as I put my backpack on. 

"No, I've got it," Toni said as she threw the hangers over her arm. 

"Okay, the front door should be unlocked since my parents are home," Martha said as she opened her door. I opened mine and ran closely behind Martha, Toni a little behind from grabbing my bags. Martha opened the front door abruptly as we both practically fell into the house, which caused her parents to jump slightly as we got in. 

"My gosh, you scared me!" Mrs. Blackburn yelled from the couch. 

"Sorry, mom," Martha said and Toni came walking in with my bags, which made Martha's parents give her a questioning look. 

"You guys go upstairs and dry off, I'll come up in a little," Martha said to Toni and I as she walked over to the couch, probably to tell her parents everything that's happened. 

"Here, I can take some-" I said as I tried to grab my clothes from Toni who quickly sidestepped around me. 

"No no no, I've got it, come on," she said as she passed me and headed for the stairs. I let out a small laugh at her as I followed her up the stairs and into her room. She set my bags down on her bed and made her way to her closet, grabbing a sweatshirt before going to her dresser and grabbing a pair of shorts. She walked over and handed them to me as she said, "here you go." 

"Thank you," I said as I set them down on the bed before lifting my shirt off, which made Toni turn around quickly. I threw the sweatshirt on before changing into the shorts and climbing into Toni's bed. She smiled at me as she grabbed herself some new clothes, going into the bathroom to change, and moving my bags and clothes to the floor before joining me in her bed. She lifted her arm up and I quickly moved to set my head on her shoulder and she wrapped her arm around me. 

"Can I asked what happened?" Toni said, her voice quiet and hesitant, and I nodded but stayed quiet for a minute before finally answering. 

"Not too much, he kept talking over me, and when I did talk, he didn't like what I said," I replied. 

"Did your mom hear anything?" She asked as she lifted her arm that was wrapped around me and started to run her fingers through my hair. 

"Yeah, she just stood there, she didn't say a word," I said before I let out a sarcastic chuckle, "she watched my dad kick me out and she just stood there." 

"I'm so sorry, Shelby, I'm so sorry," she said and I wrapped my arm around her stomach, pulling her as close to me as possible. 

"It's not your fault," I said and she shook her head. 

"It is, if I wasn't being such a bitch about last night everything would have been fine and-" she said and I lifted my head off her shoulder and looked at her. 

"Stop," I said before pausing, "their reaction would have been the same in a week or in a year, that's just who they are," I said as Toni looked everywhere but my eyes. I lifted my hand and gently moved her face so that she was looking at me. "Okay?" I said and she nodded before resting her forehead against mine. 

"It just makes me so fucking angry that they did this to you," Toni said after a moment. 

"Me too," I said as I moved my head back to her shoulder. I felt angry, sad, scared, sick, disappointed, but most of all, I felt betrayed. The only people in the world that were supposed to stand by me no matter what had abandoned me like it was nothing. My mom hadn't even cared enough to say anything, which somehow hurt more than my dad telling me to get out. I didn't know what I was gonna do now, where I was gonna stay, Martha's house didn't really have room for me and I didn't wanna impose on them for longer than I had to. I still had so much stuff at my house that I needed like my car, if my parents will even let me have it since they paid for it. 

I felt myself becoming overwhelmed and I closed my eyes to try and force myself to relax, distracting myself by focusing on Toni's hand going through my hair. I slowed my breathing down, taking in deep breaths through my nose and letting them out through my mouth. I felt myself start to drift off to sleep as my body became more and more relaxed and I felt Toni kiss my forehead as I finally fell asleep.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys! sorry I didn't update last night!! was a v long and stressful day and I was absolutely exhausted. should have a lot more time to write tomorrow so will definitely post at least one chapter then!! hope you guys are liking it!!