Part 5

Say Something

They walked slowly around the outside of the base, towards the far hill, poking fun at each other and laughing. To Adi, it felt like old times, before the rise of the First Order and before the Temple fell. She felt like nothing else mattered at that moment and she, for once in a long time, felt safe just being herself.

"Poe," Adi said softly as they sat down on the hill to watch the sunset.

"Yes," he said looking at her.

"Do you have to go?" she asked looking down.

"I do. I promise to be safe. I will come back to you safely," he said lifting her chin.

"I," she started as tears welled in her eyes.

"Hey," he said placing his hands on her face. "Everything is going to be ok. I am not going to let anything happen to you. He holds no sway over you and he cannot get to me. I promise you, I will keep you safe."

"You can't promise that, Poe. You are leaving, and I will be here, alone," she said turning her head away.

"If I could stay, you know I would. And I won't be leaving you alone. Do you think I would honestly leave you here with no protection?" he said moving to sit on his knees in front of her. "Adi, I don't know what I would do if anything ever happened to you. Promise me that you will stay here until I return."

"I will. If you promise to return to me," she said looking in his eyes, knowing in the back of her mind that she would be leaving prior to his return. 

"I will always return to you Malek, always. No matter what I will always find you," he said before kissing her forehead and pulling her close.

They sat there quietly wrapped up in one another and watched the sunset and the moon and stars come out. Adi could feel herself drifting off to sleep and could see the outline of Poe smirking as she closed her eyes.

"Come on," said quietly kissing her cheek. "Let's get you to bed."

Adi shook her head and said, "I'm not tired."

"You are falling asleep, Adi," Poe said with a small laugh.

"Let's just sleep under the stars," she said snuggling up to him.

"And have the General personally murder me? No thank you," he responded. Adi gave no response.

"Adi, if you don't get up, I will tickle you," he said resting his hand on her hip.

"You would not dare," she responded looking up at him.

"Would I?" he said before tickling her. Adi laughed hysterically.

"Poe, stop!" she said between fits of giggles. "Poe! I give! You win!"

"I will always win with you by my side," he said breathlessly as he stopped tickling her. His face was inches from her causing her to hold her breath for a moment. They both stayed there for a moment, staring into each other eyes. Adi's eyes flickered from Poe's eyes to his lips. She was at war with herself internally to just close the distance and kiss him, but something in the back of her mind told her not to.

"We should go back in before they lock the base for the night," she said catching her breath.

"As you wish," he said standing up and offering her his hand to help her up. She took it and slowly stood up, brushing her clothes off in the process. She took Poe's arm and silently walked back to base.