Chapter 20: It will be you all along

Dexter POV

I decided to return home even though I was aware of the time. By the time my hand reached the doorknob of my room, I stopped and hesitate if she will awake if I enter her room at a time like this. I looked at the time again, it was three in the morning. She must in deep slumber by now and the possibility of her noticing my presence is low.

"Damn it, just go for it." I scolded myself for acting like a loser. With that, I strolled to her room which was next to my room. To avoid any commotion, I twisted the doorknob carefully and peeked my head inside to confirm that she wasn't awake. I saw her figure rested comfortably on the bed. Closing the door behind, I inched to the bed and occupied the empty spot beside her.

I lay on the bed with my body facing her, observing every inch of her face that I missed for the last few days. Every second I kept battling with myself to meet her and talk to her but the promise and the reminder from the doctor always echoed in my head, chanting every single sentence like a curse.

"How long we need to stay like this?" I asked, just in case she will answer me in her dream. Maybe we can talk nicely in the dream without any conflicts.

"Nine months, that is it," I muttered in a low tone, reminded myself not to act impulsively during this period. I don't want to put their health at risk.

"I missed you, do you know that? Like a crazy man." I adjusted my posture, putting my hand on the back of my head. I braced myself and let my free hand touch her hair. I can't control my hand as it trailed from her hair to her face. I hauled as she suddenly wriggled and unexpectedly rolled closer to me. Her hands snaked around my neck, and she nuzzled her nose on the crook of my neck.

"Hmm, you smell so nice." I thought I heard it wrong but her next sentence convinced me it was her.

"Where have you been? I was waiting for you." I was stunned by her statement. A smile appeared on my face proudly. I couldn't believe my ears.

I made myself laid completely on the bed, and she literally crawled onto me, making her upper body lying comfortably on my chest.

"Don't move, little Anderson is asleep." I suppressed the laughter that almost escapes my lips. I tilted my head to see her face and her eyes were still shut, proving that she was in her deep slumber. I wondered if she was talking to someone in her dream and treat me as that person.

"Love," I called her just to see if she will react to me. She hummed.

"That's my nickname." Her words making me smile in satisfaction. So, she was actually sleep-talk to me.

"Yeah, that's your name. I wonder who is the one who gave you the name?" I whispered near her ear.

"That arrogant Dexter." I chuckled at her answer. 

"Oh, I know that guy. Who is he to you?"

"I think I hate him but at the same time, I don't think I hate him. My head is a bit confuse after the accident. I guess I hit my head too hard."

"It's okay, you will recover soon. Take it slowly, love."

"By the time I recover, maybe he will have a new wife." The little pout on her face was visible to my eyes. I smirked at the way she pouted but didn't miss noticing her sorrowful face.

"It will be you all along. He loved you, only you." I kissed her forehead a couple of times.

"He didn't come back home. He doesn't want me anymore." She suddenly tightened her arms on my neck, acting like I will disappear if she ever let go of her hands. If only she acted like this when she was conscious.

"No, just say the word and he will be back soon."

"Good that I'm his wife." I didn't let go of the chance to stroke her hair gently. My arms snaked on her waist, wrapping her in my embrace tightly as if this will be the last chance I could hold her.

Just like that, I let the darkness took over me and drift into a deep slumber with her in my embrace.

The next morning

I turned to look at the time on my phone. It was still early. Locking the phone, I turned around to gaze at the person next to me. I studied her face, letting my fingers feel her soft skin, stroking her long hair, rejoicing the moment of being close to her.

I was aware that I need to leave the room before she awakes, to avoid any tension and be the cause of her mood swing. I placed kisses on both of her cheeks and forehead. My eyes gazed at her plump lips, debating if she will awake if I kiss her there.

I brushed her lips with my thumb and waited to see her reaction. It doesn't bother her. Taking the risk, my hand lightly grasped her chin before slowly craning her face up, I pressed my lips onto hers. I stared at her, amused by the way her lips lifted into a semblance of a smile.

With a heavy heart, I slowly released her grip that wrapping my body tightly. I need to leave before she was aware of my presence. It will create a mess and cleaning it up won't be that easy, considering the fact about her fragile emotion during the period of her memory loss and pregnancy.

I pulled the duvet, making sure it covers her body and giving her the last kiss on her forehead before turning my heel out from the room.  

❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤❤