Chapter 10

"Interesting."

Thoth sat back in the wicker chair overlooking the lake beyond the terrace. The crystal waters shimmered like a mirror from amongst the reeds. Along the banks several long beaked birds waded without a care, their beady eyes looking for the tiny fish that inhabited the still waters.

The ibis was still the favoured bird in the former God's heart and he could not have settled anywhere that lacked them. Nor could he have left the glory of equatorial Africa, the sights and sounds of that sun kissed land were his reason for living.

In human form he still held some resemblance himself; his features slim and angular, his nose sharp and eyes wise yet placid.

Shu twiddled his fingers impatiently as Thoth rocked complacently, eyes gazing into the distance and at events long erased from memory.

"Do you think you can help?" He broke the silence with an air of agitation. Each second he stood there felt like a second wasted. "He will surely know if I breach that veil."

"As he will if I do," Thoth's eyes turned to rest on him. "Am Heh is not a fool, you know that. Any Godly aura would be sensed, in animal or human form."

Shu opened his mouth to protest but Thoth continued, wafting a hand to quiet him.

"However, one of my birds could carry a message and they could not be detected. If they happen to leave a feather or debris then I doubt he would suspect much, especially if I send one of the breeds that are lesser known to our homeland."

He smiled lovingly over to the birds that strode elegantly through the waters, proud and tall and without a care in the world.

"I had some brought over. I never really believe in taking them from their own habitats but they were in danger of dying completely. In the minds of humans one of these is already extinct," sadness darkened his eyes. "Such beauty they were given and so little appreciation they have."

Shu followed his gaze with little interest. In different circumstances he too would have felt the affection and the nostalgia at seeing the beauty spanning before him, and perhaps a touch of unhappiness at the memory of those no longer in the world.

At the moment there were other things to focus on, things that would wipe out all this and more.

"Humans are their own worst enemy but that does not mean they ought to be abolished completely. We at least have the knowledge and moral standing that we attempted to aid and guide them. Their free will decides on their own path though."

Thoth did not respond. Instead he lifted two fingers to his lips and whistled towards the flock. The sound echoed in the air and caused the birds to lift their heads. Only one responded.

With a prideful air it strode over, its bald head and curved bill were pitch black, stark against the long white body, flawless except for the dark plumage on its rump.

Soft brown eyes, surrounded by a scarlet orbital ring, gazed up at the deity whose own eyes were full of affection for the bird before him.

"Groete my skoonheid," he cooed softly, smiling when the bird rewarded him with a puppy like sound. "Ek het 'n taak vir u."

The bird tilted its head keenly, listening as Thoth explained the task in African tongue. It gave its rare yelping trill, giving its assent without hesitation.

Shu stood quietly, unable to hold back the smile at the affection and devotion that radiated between the pair. A trust that had spanned the centuries and would continue for many more.