Chapter 15

Thoth was sat in the wicker chair outside, watching his beloved Ibises with a glass of ruby wine at his side. A small smile was cemented on his face, the adoration for the creatures clear.

He barely looked away as Shu arrived, creating a flurry of sand as he did so.

"Wine?" Thoth gestured to a covered pitcher on the window sill. "It's homemade, rather more potent than most." He gave a sheepish chuckle. "Truthfully I really ought to keep to tea or water but I thought in such circumstances I've earned it."

"I'd best not, flying and alcohol rarely mix," Shu smiled. "I've done it once before and I ended up marooned on some island in the pacific. Nice area, but not when you've somewhere to be or when you've a shocking headache."

Thoth laughed softly. "Indeed, but anyway, enough of the idle chitter chatter. What is it you've come for? I take it Atum is in need of my help?" He pressed his hands together with subdued excitement. "Anything I have to offer is at your disposal."

"And we are grateful for it," Shu gave a small bow of his head. "Atum has requested something that will call forth lucid dreams, dream to release locked away memories with as little distress to the mortal as possible. Awakening these recollections from their slumber might lead to some clarity about what we face, and perhaps what we can do."

"He believes the human is part of the key to this?" Thoth got to his feet with a brief, wistful look to his birds, before heading inside.

"Yes, at least the humans reply seems to indicate that his being taken is for more than just shielding."

"Am Heh hardly needs a shield," Thoth sighed and went directly to his medicine cupboard where vials and jars were kept in relative coolness. Outside they stood no chance, the sun moved all about the homestead and nowhere remained in complete shade. "No one dared approach him without needing protection themselves. Not the other way about."

He scanned the labels briefly, barely needing to read them before plucking several out and placing them on the table.

"Get me a teaspoon, I find it easier to gauge weight that way than using scales. Scales judge the weight of sin, my hands judge the weight of aid."

Shu smiled but said nothing as Thoth's eyes glazed with rigid focus, his brow furrowing as he painstakingly mixed granules and oils. Shu barely breathed lest he break the concentration.

Minutes passed. Each feeling as if he were standing on a crumbling glacier, awaiting rescue or woe.

After what felt like hours, Thoth set down a tiny vial, barely a quarter full of sparkling but murky paste. A sheen of sweat clung to his skin and his hands finally allowed themselves to shake, realising the tautness that had taken over.

"He simply needs to add water and swallow it. I shall send you with another of my birds, Panya. She is shy but swift. Bring the vial back otherwise Am Heh will know."

"Water, what if..?"

"He will not leave him without water. From my recollection his slaves were treated decently enough and were never denied fluid. I cannot see that will have changed, even in this rage of his."

He pushed open the window, allowing the sparse breeze to blow away what residues he couldn't collect, and gave a whistle towards the flock. Several heads glanced up but soon returned to spooning the mud, turning it over in their search for the small grubs and crustaceans that hid in the folds.

Thoth tapped his foot patiently and gave a small smile. "I told you she was shy," he explained lamely. "Give her a moment though."

A moment passed and slowly one of the birds edged its way from the hub, her legs shaking. Grey in colour she blended well and was glad of it. She preferred the quiet and seldom even joined the morning chorus of the others, occasionally giving the soft puppy-like growl when addressed.