Chapter 42

Like the sky above in the mortal realm, the atmosphere within the palace walls was thunderous. A brewing storm raging in the silence.

Sitting alone in her prayer corner, Mandisa trembled. There was a coldness circulating and every person she had come across that day had retreated to their quarters.

No work had been accomplished that day, all hands had been idle or clasping in their laps. None could place the discontent that gained ground every second, but all were waiting for it to flourish and ignite.

She wrapped her haik about her shoulders, whispering prayers under her breath but couldn't shake the fear of the rising tempest that she knew was about to strike.

At one minute past midnight, it broke. A monsoon of blood and terror.

The walls became stained with scarlet, flesh clung to every surface, torn from the bones of even the most innocent. Not one living being was spared the wrath.

The God's mind was too neurotic, too clouded to see anything but betrayal and conspiracy. Skin and gore covered his claws and behind him his black hounds happily gnawed at exposed bones, regardless of whether the victim was still breathing. They would not be for long, the jaws soon providing the relief of death.

From his own dwelling, Atum felt the disturbance. The air around him seemed to ripple in agitated waves and faint wails of agonised souls droned in his ears.

He strode purposefully over to a pool of limpid water that dominated the centre of the empty chamber and traced his hand over the surface.

"Shu." The light faded from the room, being absorbed into the water which began to glow and sing in an ethereal music. "Hear me and speak. There is unease in our realm and I wish to know where it comes from, the strength of it indicates a severity I have not known since Set and Horus were at war."

A hazy image appeared in the waters and a voice responded respectfully. "It comes from the throne of fire, great Lord. I have been sensing unrest on the wind for some days. I ask forgiveness, but I saw little reason to mention it as Am-Heh often creates such a temper, he has never given much cause for concern before, except for you to suggest he go easy on his staff."

"There is no forgiveness needed," Atum was frowning as he spoke. "But you will take to the air and see what is going on. I fear this is not one of those simple times."

--

Shu had not been expecting the extent of the devastation that greeted him as he landed in the ravaged throne room. The walls were coated with graffiti of gore and decorations of limbs and torn entrails decked almost every surface.

His jaw fell slack as he surveyed the carnage, gazing as if in a trance. So much so, he didn't sense the presence of another until a sound blow knocked him sideways.

"Get out!" Am-Heh's furious voice ripped through his eardrums as he scrambled to defend himself, whipping a powerful wind in a ring about himself.

"I've done nothing to spite you, Am-Heh!" He retorted as he met the fierce gaze that blazed like a nova from behind the fearsome mask. "Neither that these people! What have you done this for?"

Am-Heh's claws ignited in tongues of flame as he dashed the protective circle from the air. The wind seemed to scream and dissolved into a charred mist, floating eerily away.

"God sheds light on those who shake the clouds of error from their souls, and He shall act accordingly. Lo, the gift or curse of eternity was given."

"I don't understand..."

Shu's words were halted as Am-Heh lunged and narrowly evaded the lethal claws. He was a proud, prestigious fighter, skilled in the hunt of airborne game and swift on his feet. There had been an explosion of pain at the base of his neck as he had connected with the ground and his instincts now flooded him.

All the rage that had been smouldering and festering in Am-Heh's heart had come to the forefront and Shu only just managed to dodge the mighty blow that cracked the tiles beneath him. His ears were ringing almost loud enough to drown out the roar that followed him. He swung blindly, a growl and pain in his hand indicating he had struck his target before a hand grabbed the back of his neck, hauling him upright before sending him flying back into the wall, the shock hurting more than the actual blow.

His hand shot up, grabbing Am-Heh's wrist in a fierce grip. "Enough! Cease this folly!" His knee followed, connecting near the groin and leashing the beastly God for a moment as he regained himself. Shu didn't really think about his following movement, he simply released his hold and moved. Aim with the left, rotate his body into the motion. His fist connected with the other's jaw, the thunderous blow resounding through the room.

Am-Heh reeled back and Shu attempted to rise and take back to the winds, but strong fingers entwined with his hair, hoisting him up in a savage gesture.

His claws raked down the exposed chest, each bloody stripe yielding fierce, exultant joy, his eyes fiery with cruel mockery.

"You have no power to better me, Shu," he hissed through broken breath, sweat glistening on his skin and running to stain the blood in smeared line over his muscle. "I gave you chance to leave, you did not. So now you pay like all the others here!"

"But I do have power over you!"

The strong voice rang bold and clear through the void of devastation as Atum stepped forward from the shadows. He cut a fine but fearsome figure, the broad sword brandished with intent in his hand and his face void of any expression.

Shu found himself released instantly as Am-Heh away, but the rage still burned bright from the stalwart God.

"And you will make me, great creator? Do you not think I could rend you as useless as the rags that wipe the shit from your feet?"

Atum wielded the sword before him, the blade beginning to radiate with a power beyond any words.

"So help me, Am-Heh," he hissed "if you do not cease this madness I will take you down with one blow! And you know I do not make false promises!"

Am-Heh stilled, finally giving a growl and bowing his head. "Your will be done."

---

Shu watched in grim silence as Atum passed sentence, condemning the fallen deity to be forever imprisoned in stone and forgotten in history.

He disappeared like he had arrived, with a rising storm and thunder making the sky in the human world quake.

The other Gods seems indifferent to the display before them, concerned only with justice and the scales being balanced once again. Yet Shu could not disregard the multitude of questions that had failed to be answered, Am-Heh making no comment to any, seeing no reason to dig what he saw as a deeper grave.

Atum too, had seemed disappointed that his queries went unanswered, giving ample time for the other to reply and met only with stony silence.

They were his children, all of them, and taking such measures as almost giving up. Whatever their flaws, he cared for them all.

From the darkness, two eyes watched in sick amusement, grinning with a sense of misplaced victory. Babi knew his wars were not over, he had plenty more to do before his rightful place was won. But with each battle, successful or not, he felt his energy grow.

One day, whether near or far in the future, the world would bow to him. It would have no choice but to worship and adore.

If they didn't, they would starve and rot, their sources of sustenance hidden away in a place where only he could give them out and only when they pleased him.

Now, without Am-Heh and his wretched hounds who would have been sent after him, his route seemed clear.

---

Isaac heard himself cry out, calling for the God who his heart had been entwined with and who had been broken by the needless and cruel death.

"It's starting again," he whispered aloud to himself. "He doesn't see it; he only sees his own betrayal." His hand clasped about his amulet, shuddering at the thought that it was his own blood that had crafted it. "He's still as lost as he was then." He bit down on his lip, eyes drifting below. "There's only one who needs to suffer the consequences, not the entire human race. I have to make him see that. May the Gods help me," he lifted his voice, hoping it would reach the right ears. "I'll need the blessing of you to do this! But I won him once, I can do it again."