Chapter 67

The dogs ran rampant through the living dead. Limbs flew, congealed blood oozed and the smell of rotting flesh permeated the air even more.

Those who tried to fight back, biting and clawing were soon defeated, their blackened teeth unable to even scratch the thick skin.

Blood and foam frothed at the mouths, neither willing to allow the rancid meat to drop down their gullets. They still remembered the luscious fresh meat that had been given in their best. Tender and prepared with care. What they caught now, on those rare occasions they needed to feed, was not a patch on it.

And these beings were not fit for rats.

They ignored the humans, save for knocking some over. None seemed injured, even if they hit the concrete hard enough to break a bone. They simply sat up, or lay there. Dazed and in a world of their own. With no voices ringing in their heads, their addled minds forged on to return to normal.

They had long since given up on trying to understand anything.

When they finished here, the hounds vanished, flitting between unseen gates to repeat their performance beyond the seas and borders.

A light rain began to fall, washing away the blood and clearing the drains. Whatever beasts lay down there would be washed out to the ocean, to add to the biodiversity and create more mysteries of the deep.

One more legend to be told as a scourge to sailors.

Isaac sat dolefully. Barely registering the droplets that fell from the bruised sky and clung to his flattened curls, mingling with the tears that finally escaped.

"There is one more thing you must do," Atum said softly. "When Shu returns. My own power is the key but you must open the door."

"Whatever..." Isaac shrugged. "I just want this over. And to forget again. But I doubt the latter is going to happen."

Atum didn't get the chance to respond as Shu landed nearby, shaking the raindrops from the shrivelled hand. He gave a sheepish smile as Atum's eyes registered on the missing fingers.

"Well, it'll do." Atum took the hand between his thumb and forefinger, shuddering inwardly at the feel of the leathery skin.

He rubbed the tips of the fingers which began to glow as if candles lit them from underneath. Indeed, a waxy substance formed on the palm, melting into the peeling flesh.

"Thou dost caused them to suffer. To be vexed of heart and speak blasphemy. May they be healed of all poison, pus and venom that thou anger bestowed."

The hand clenched, forming a stiff fist.

Shu moved over, blowing a gentle breeze onto the taut fingers. The soft scent of rue and rose perfumed the air.

"Release their hearts. Rid their mind of sickness." He whispered, his voice lacking some of the conviction of the greater God. "Carry this charm far and wide, for thou dost cause pain through lands thou hast not seen."

The hand shook, melting somewhat. Atum span around, allowing the dripping flesh to dribble onto Isaac's hand, mingling with the freshness of the rain.

He cringed, but didn't move. He knew better than to question any act of the Gods. Despite having doubting their very existence up until recently.

Lifting his eyes, he saw both looking at him expectantly. He paused, thinking hard before words came to him and he reached to place his fingers near Atum's.

To heal a mortal world, needed the words of a mortal.

"Good dispatch! Joyful dispatch!" His voice was clipped, both weak and strong at the same time as tears rolled down his cheeks. "Good dispatch, hail to the Gods!"