Chapter 29

Isaac, although half expecting the arrival of the God, jolted at the flash and sudden appearance. Immediately and instinctively, he bowed his head, cursing himself after he did.

Am-Heh raised an eyebrow but didn't comment on it, unaware of the potion and the memories it had opened. That door had closed and had been sealed long ago as far as he was concerned, the key rusted and defunct. It was hardly fool proof, they still leaked and those spectres still haunted him. No door, no wall could keep them at bay.

"Achieve what you wanted?" Isaac dared as the God moved back to his books.

"For now."

"This city wasn't the one that slighted you," Isaac said bitterly as he looked away. "It's just where you woke. I don't see your reason for messing up a place that had nothing against you." He gave a snort and shrugged. "No one even knew your name here until less than a hundred years ago. Most still don't."

"You think I'm focused on this city alone?" Am Heh let out a sharp laugh, his eyes lighting brilliantly with macabre amusement. "Good grief, Ish...mortal! Look down! Think of where you want to see and look down! These are not the only rivers that run with blood or the only ground that swallows the living!"

Isaac edged forward, increasingly aware of the deity's frustration. Coated with humour it was dulled but the aura that radiated from him was contorted with rage and another emotion that he couldn't quite determine.

Pain? Need?

Neither of those befitted the powerful being but they were the ones that resonated in his heart. Almost as if the souls were inexplicitly linked.

"This is the mere epicentre," Am Heh said, turning away as Isaac's eyes widened at the sight below. "All over people are beginning to feel the seism."

The sands of the Egyptian desert were wild as conical winds screamed over them, opening the streets of the nearest towns with their power. The filthy Nile was now crimson and devoid of wildlife, all of it having sense to flee as the air changed.

Still, shadows lurked within, their mass surfacing just enough to make out the large shape that would break a man in two should anyone be unfortune to fall. Or when the banks finally burst.

"Christ..."

"Your prophet is not scheduled to return any time soon," Am-Heh clapped his hands, revealing the city again. "And I have my doubts whether he would be able to stop anything, he could guide the chaste and pure but his skills would not branch further."

He dismissed the conversion and looked about him, searching for some idea of what had caused the odd disturbance to his system.

Isaac kept his eyes down. He wasn't skilled at keeping his emotions from his eyes, often managing to look guilty even when he was innocent.

Am-Heh watched him, his gaze not free of suspicion. There was an odd sensation in the room, and he was not entirely convinced that it was natural, just the combined unease and awkwardness. It was similar, that feeling of trepidation dancing up over the spine and the heavy, churlish nag in the stomach.

Logically, it could be no more than that. How would the mortal have seen anyone? They hadn't the command over the spells, even if they could read them, and if they did have an iota of skill, it was too weak to do anything but make a mess, often leading to their demise or downfall.

Yet, that charm...he knew it all too well, and knew the draw it had, the strength and power.

"I will need your assistance soon," he said mildly, keeping half an eye on the young man. "Once I have the objects I need. Such items do not work without some encouragement."