Chapter 27

The cave of the bull of the baboons reeked of death and was sweltering in the darkness of death. The freezing chill of the underworld and the heat of hellish torments rolling together in macabre copulation.

Souls to be judged, or those already damned, would smell the sulphur of blazing lakes and shiver as the crevices all seemed to have eyes. What beasts could be concealed? Waiting for them to falter, for the judgement to lean to their favour and their claw would rend apart the last visage of humanity, casting the aura in smithereens until some pity might repair them.

Only one resided within those echoing chambers.

The first born of Osiris and member of the Duat, Babi was worthy of the fear and awe given him. Aggressive, omnivorous and bloodthirsty, the hunched deity delighted in devouring the souls of those who had been deemed sinful after the Maat had weighed them.

The tingling and piquant flavour was mouth-watering, the perfect delicacy to compliment the diet of wine and entrails, the gore of which painted the murals that decorated the crags.

The thoughts of the people influenced his creation in the form of a hunched baboon, known in the minds of the people as animals of the dead. It was not the first time the myths had crafted the form of the Gods, most simply taking a mask of said creature but some, moulded in the womb in the true shape.

Hopelessly virile, Babi resided alone for the most part. Not even the other deities wished to be around the unpleasant, wanton brute. What pleasures he obtained were from those given by his worshippers or from the less than willing offerings.

Zuberi felt the brutes gaze on him as soon as he entered the chamber. If the stench of decaying and unwashed flesh was not enough, the weight of those amber eyes was crushing.

He trembled as he set the meagre offering of a butchered rabbit down. He hadn't been able to get anything substantial but hoped the token would keep him in better esteem than those of the outside world.

'Proof I am dedicated to his greatness,' his thoughts were almost a prayer as he stepped back with a bow. 'Surely others do not risk the wrath of another God to serve him.'

He waited in uncomfortable quietness as the glowing eyes flitted from him to the bloody meat.

"What...is that?" Babi growled, making no effort to move. "a canape? It would barely make a good mouthful. Do you know how stringy rabbit entrails are?" His teeth glistened as he snarled, coated with thick salvia. "You dare offer me something so puny?"

"I-I apologise, oh great one!" Zuberi prostrated himself on the ground, not daring to look at those eyes that burned into his back so furiously, feeling like the fiery rage of the whip. "I have had no chance to lead astray on pure enough to sate the hunger I know my great master feels. Forgive me, I have narrowed my choice! My master has eyes like Horus, like a hawk. I must tread carefully!"

Babi was silent and, from the narrow view he allowed himself, Zuberi saw the rabbit slide away, leaving a trail of scarlet in its wake. The sound of eating followed.

"For the most part," Babi finally said, sucking the blood from his index finger "you have been loyal and not disappointed. Due to that I shall overlook this display of weakness, of failure."

"Thank you! I-"

Babi silenced him with one look. "Bore someone else with your gratitude. I have not yet finished!" He cast aside the hind joint of the rabbit, the dark would keep it somewhat fresh for later, and bounded forward, gripping Zuberi's hair. "I have only so much patience, human. I am giving you one month. When the moon is full once again then my patience will be exhausted and, despite your unsuitableness, you will then become the entrails I crave and your soul lost, understood?"