Chapter 1: Henry's Return

I walk out of school and into my mom's car.

"How's school?" she asked with a light tone as the traffic light turns red.

"Horrible." I said just to annoy her. It wasn't, I made a good impression to all my teachers, stayed quiet and avoided trouble,...and friends, and I also started on some of tomorrow's homework, which I asked for in order to get ahead of everyone.

She sighed as she turned the corner and the view of my gigantic white house came into view. My mom had been mayor of Storybrooke for 40 years. I don't really know how she started at a young age and no one ever tells me anything about my past so I just wondered, maybe her parents were involved with the city's socialites. But I don't know that for sure either because I've never met my grandparents. My mom parked the car in front of our pebbled walkway and we made our way into the house.
I haven't fully stepped inside the house when I spotted Henry on the couch and I kind of tripped while I ran to hug him.
"Good to see you still tripping around the house." he laughed.

"Like you don't still fall down the stairs." I joked, he did it once and I'm here to hold it against him forever.

"Mom, you seriously needs to buy new furniture because the house looks the same for the past 2 years." he said as my mom made her way inside the house. She laughed and said something about not having time. Henry has been gone for college in Manhattan. This was the first time I've seen him for two years so we joke around and watch Netflix with Roland when he decided to come downstairs. My mom ended up making apple pie, which is my favorite dessert and Henry's least. I ate the pie enjoying its flavor knowing I'm not going to be able to eat my mom's home cooked meals when I go to college. Far, far away from here. Of course I'm gonna be able to make my own life decisions like what furniture to buy, what job I could take and which apartment to live in. My thoughts were cut off by Henry saying stuff about not liking apples and that it's a family thing.

"No it's not, I like apples." I smiled while trying to bribe him to eat some. Henry is my adopted brother so we don't actually share flesh and blood. His birth mom is Storybrooke's sheriff also known as Emma. Roland is my half-brother because we share the same dad but him mom passed away when he was young. I don't get a big family reunion because that's my whole family to me. Although I've suspected that my parents have been keeping a secret from me about my past and they let Henry and Roland in on the secret. I've been spying on them ever since I was little, pretending to be part of an agency that included me, myself, and I. Like I said I didn't have any friends. Being home schooled until high school didn't help with that either. But when I got older I realized they were actually keeping secrets from me. I sometimes ask questions during dinner like, do I have any cousins? How long had our family owned this house? But as usual my questions were ignored.

After finishing dinner, I went upstairs to finish tomorrow's homework. After I finished tommorow's homework, I decided to give myself a break for working so hard. As I was getting ready to sleep I heard rustling from inside my closet. I decided that I'm almost in my dream state and I'm imagining things. But the next time I saw my closet doors moving. I decide to turn on my table lamp and stared as the closet doors kept moving. I got out from under my sheets and walked over to grab a empty vase on top of my dresser. From a closer view, I could see a faint white light coming from in between the gaps of the doors. I open one closet door and stepped back with my weapon all pointed and ready to only see a glowing, shaking shoe box. I frowned, that's odd, did I put my flashlight in there? Or am I dreaming? And what's with the shaking? I nudged the box with my foot and it stopped shaking or glowing. I crouched down and lifted the the cover only to find...a book.

I lifted the book out of the shoe box and wiped the dust from the top to read the title. It reads 'Once Upon A Time'. Maybe it was a book I used to read when I was young. I thought but I didn't recall this book in my memory and I've never seen it in my closet before. I took the book and placed it on my bookshelf. I wanted to fix the order the book was placed but I decided I was too sleepy and I'll do it in the morning. I stared at my ceiling and counted my ceiling tiles. I tried to force my eyes shut and finally I feel asleep only to dream of a memory I had forced myself to forget a long time ago. The place I never wanted to return even in my dreams.

Contact me at:

anamillsproductions@gmail.com