Spying - Chapter 2

What I was seeing was impossible. But while I might be able to explain away the eyes, there was so way to fake a Valkyrie shield. And the fucking thing just zapped me, so I knew that it was the real deal. But where was she? You had to maintain contact with someone to shield them and Huntsville was alone. Alone and seriously pissed off. What part did this loser play in this? Why would a female Valkyrie protect this sorry excuse for a human? What if she was sleeping with him? Even the thought of that had my Strength acting up and the strap of my backpack snapped as I pulled on it. I had no idea what was going on, but I was going to fuck some shit up if a female Val would really choose a human over her own kind.

--Connor

The second that Connor touched my shield it was like time froze in both the real world and in the void. I hadn't seen or heard from a Valkyrie in four years. Those had been the best four years of my life. And considering I almost starved to death and ran away from three foster homes in that time, that was saying something. The very last thing I wanted to do was have a territory dispute with three Valkyrie over Skyline High. It just wasn't worth it. But I was so close to freedom and my life was pretty bearable right now. 

Maybe I could make a deal with these guys and they would let me stay here just until I graduated.

But before I made any decisions I needed information. And the void was the best place to gather information. I could literally occupy the same space as these guys and they would never know. It was the ultimate spy tool. 

Right now Jack was looking at the three guys like they had gone insane and the Valkyries were all staring at my shield like if they had seen a ghost. I didn't understand, my father said that Shield was the second most common Gift and almost all Valkyrie had them. They were completely invisible to humans, but anyone of supernatural blood could see them. So why were they looking at mine like they had never seen one before?

"How is this possible?" Blake asked no one in particular and I wanted to agree with him. How was it possible that I didn't notice that there are three Valkyries in my school? But then I looked again and noticed that they all had brown eyes. My father told me that all Valkyries had green eyes like mine, not that I had ever met another one to confirm that statement. However, my father hadn't been lying when he told me that tidbit of information.

"Better question, where did she go?" Connor said in a voice that was so similar to Blake's that it sent a shiver down my spine. "If that shield is up that means she has to be touching him, but I don't see her anywhere." Max walked over from behind the other two and actually looked behind Jack, like if I was playing hide-and-go-seek from them or something. Were these guys serious? Did they really not know about the void? And what did they mean by the touching thing? I hadn't really tested my range, but I could shield anyone I wanted whether I was touching them or not.

"Jack, where did your friend go?" Max asked in a much more polite tone than Connor had moments before.

"First, tell me what you want with her," Jack replied while standing up to his full height. The twins were still taller than him, but he matched Max's height. I could tell from how he planted his feet that Jack was expecting a fight. What did he know that I didn't?

"We just want to talk to her. Welcome her to our school," Blake said and Jack let out a low chuckle. He clearly wasn't buying what these guys were trying to sell.

"She is not new. She has been here all year. Pretty sure she even has classes with each of you. So if you want my help, you are going to have to explain why you are interested in her all of sudden." No one said anything as the Valkyries digested that I had been right under their noses for over six months. The tension in the air grew so thick I could almost taste it here in the void. I double checked the shield around Jack just to be safe. I knew first hand what a pissed off Valkyrie could do.