Questions - Chapter 14

Everyone was acting like Ray was this powerful untouchable being that would leave the second we got too close. But they were wrong. They were wrong about Ray. She wouldn't just abandon us because she knew what it felt like to be abandoned. Connor and Max thought that she was going to disappear with the first royal that walked through our door to collect her, but I knew better. Ray was a good judge of character and most of the royals I knew were little whiny bitches. 

No, I think that when push comes to shove, Ray is going to pick us. I am willing to bet my heart on it.

--Blake

After all of the upheaval at the police station, the Garcia family wanted to go home where they felt safer. Considering that Valentine's sister had died the day before, I didn't exactly blame them. Maria gave me another hug, but I could tell that she didn't fully understand the situation. I squeezed her small body to mine and sent her all of the love that I felt towards her. Every little girl needed to feel loved. 

Then I let her go and watched her walk away hand-in-hand with Valentine and Hugo.

Elijah told me that he had to do some work at the station but would drop me back off at the clan house first. I thought it about it for a moment, but eventually I told him that I was okay. The station was on the city bus route and I really needed to get back home. It had been a crazy couple of days and I had a paper on Hamlet due tomorrow. I refused to let all of this stuff interfere with my ability to get good grades and hopefully get a scholarship. 

I could tell that Elijah didn't want me going back alone and he offered to drive me, but I had taken up enough of his time.

"Okay, then how about coming over for dinner tomorrow?" Elijah asked and I wondered why he was so hell bent on getting me to spend more time at their house. I still had this nagging feeling that Elijah expected something from me.

"Why are you being so nice and generous to me?" I asked point blank and turned my truth seeking abilities on full blast. "I once asked what you wanted from me and you lied to me. I will ask again, what is in it for you?"

Elijah let out a breath and rubbed his forehead while he presumably thought through his answer. "I have never had direct interaction with someone with a Truth Gift before so I only know details through second hand accounts, but from what I have heard the ability to detect lies doesn't allow for nuance. When I told you that all I wanted to do was make sure you were safe, I wasn't lying but I was only expressing one part of my truth."

I waited for the buzz in my brain to tell me that Elijah was once again lying to me, but it never came. 

"In our society, female Valkyries hold a lot of power. At the time, I thought that you were a royal who was in trouble. I figured that if we were able to help you, it could only end up benefiting our clan. I know that sounds selfish and like I was taking advantage of the situation, but please know that while I might be politically aware of my actions, I really do want to help you in any way that I can. All of us feel the same way."

By the end of his little speech, Elijah seemed like he was pleading with me to understand what he was saying. And I did understand. His explanation actually did a lot to reassure me. This whole week the kindness and automatic acceptance I kept getting from the guys has been unsettling. Knowing that they have an ulterior motive takes some of the pressure off. Makes the whole situation make more sense. And I didn't begrudge the guys getting a step up in the world.

"Now that I understand a little more about your situation, things have changed," Elijah continued. "Somehow you were separated from our society, Ray. And then unspeakable things happened to you. Valkyries are meant to live and exist with each other. You have been isolated with the humans for entirely too long. I invited you to dinner because you belong with your own kind. It will always be your choice of who you decide to affiliate with, but I am hoping that until you find somewhere you would rather be, that you will honor us with your presence."