Sacrifices - Chapter 24

From Max's phone call and the text messages that were coming my way I could only assume that they were going after Ransom without backup. Not that I didn't trust the boys, but the twins would act rashly because they were emotionally invested and they had a female with them. If anything happened to Ray, we would all face the gallows. I needed to get out of this useless meeting and get to them before they did something we couldn't fix.

"Elijah," Tobias called out and I cursed myself for forgetting there was another telepath in the room. "What is going on? Why are you so worried about your clan and Delia?"

Shit - now half of the Valkyries in the Bay area were going to intervene.

--Elijah

The guys decided that waiting was too risky. The plan was to go and see what condition the missing Valkyries were in and then reevaluate what to do. The only other time I had actively triggered my Tracking Gift had been when I found Max at the school library, so it took a little trial and error to get right. We had all ran back to the Walmart parking lot with the cars and I was sitting in the front of Blake's huge black truck giving directions the best I could. The tricky part was when my intuition was telling me to go in a direction that the roads didn't go. Ransom was generally to the southeast of us, but I couldn't tell how far in that direction he was.

Forty minutes of tense driving later we pulled up to an old factory in Castro Valley. As soon as I told Blake to park the car all three of the guys jumped out of the car and I could tell that they wanted to charge in without thinking things all the way through. Men. I pushed all four of us into the void and sealed us in. This way they guys could do as much exploring as they wanted without tipping off anyone to our location. As a plus, whatever was able to take out three highly trained and Gifted Hunters wouldn't be able to hurt any of us. 

We were completely untouchable in the void.

I called my katana and walked around the truck to where the rest of the guys were standing and looking at the factory. None of them realized we were in the void until Connor tried to lean back against the truck and ended up falling through the truck and onto his ass. Both Blake and Max just stood there and stared at him so long, that it was me that reached out to help Connor to his feet.

"It's safer this way," I explained and they all seemed to shake off their shock. Connor called a broad sword that I would have trouble swinging and Blake materialized two matching daggers with deadly looking curved edges. If I really thought about it, it might be premature to have weapons out, but that factory was pretty ominous looking and I felt safer with a blade in my hand. 

When I noticed that Max didn't have a blade, I remembered that he didn't have Weapons. I called a short sword in my free hand and handed it to him. Max hesitated to take it but once it was in his hand I could tell from his grip that he had at least a little training with wielding a bladed weapon.

Both Blake and Connor were staring at the short sword in Max's hand and I guessed that I had done something else that I wasn't supposed to be able to. But now was not the time to get into my power level. I started walking towards the scary factory and the guys were quick to follow me. The front door was chained shut, but my Tracking Gift was still pushing me to go inside so I just stepped through the door. The guys hesitated to follow me, but soon enough they got the hang of walking within the void - just walk through anything in your path.

Inside the factory we didn't have the moon or any street lights, making it completely dark. Each of the guys reached into their pockets and pulled out sleek smartphones and turned on the flashlight app. I did have my phone, but it didn't have a flash camera, so I was pretty sure it wasn't going to be much help in this situation. Connor took the lead with me relaying directions based on where my Tracking was telling me their father was.