The Price of Politics - Chapter 20

What a fucking circus. 

We haven't held something this formal in years, and I have no doubt that the Blade Clan was throwing their weight around because of Ray. I also didn't doubt that the only reason my father was a part of this tribunal was because of Ray too. I hadn't laid eyes on the man since Christmas, and now he was here in Oakland two days in a row. I knew for a fact that dear old dad wasn't high up enough in the rankings of Blade Clan to stand next to their mother fucking Clan Leader and Arbiter during a tribunal. No, this was a political move. The Blade Clan wanted to use Blake and me to get closer to Ray. 

The kicker is that Dad was disgusted when I chose to stay with Blake instead of following in his footsteps and becoming a Hunter. No way I was going to let him use me after the shit that had gone down between us.

--Connor

The last thing I expected this thing to turn into after a couple of teenagers were maimed by their fathers, was a social affair. But the moment that the talkative Valkyrie declared the trial over, everyone relaxed their posture and the three Valkyrie in suits came over to our group.

"Elijah, it is too bad about the circumstances, but it is good to see you boy. How are things?" the man I suspected was in charge said with fake cheer.

"It is good to see you too Clan Leader Greer. Things have been quite exciting for us since Valkyrie Olsen came into our lives. Let me introduce you. Hunter Greer, this is Delia Ray Olsen. Ray, this is Hunter Edison Greer, the Blade Clan Leader. And this is Hunter Tobias Eldridge, the Blade Clan Arbiter," Elijah said while pointing out the Valkyrie that had led the trial. "You had the pleasure of meeting Hunter Ransom Berg yesterday."

Well that was really formal. 

Both Edison and Tobias held their hands out and I didn't see a way around shaking them without being completely rude. I felt the undeniable clan bond as I grasped each man's hand, but neither tried to grab me like Peterson had done yesterday. Then our group was approached by both pack masters and I was spared having to make small talk with the Blade Clan's leader.

"We wanted to express our gratitude towards Valkyrie Olsen for the assistance she rendered earlier this day," Pack Master Lopez said as he lowered his eyes in what I assumed was a respectful manner. Eye contact was a big deal with the Shifters. 

But what was really interesting was that Lopez was lying. He wasn't actually grateful. I considered saying something, but now wasn't the time. I was trying to keep my Truth Gift under wraps. Plus the two mind readers in the room probably already knew not only that Lopez was lying, but the reason behind the lie too. Telepathy really was a more useful gift than Truth.

If I were one of the Shifters, I would be hanging onto my temper by the skin of my teeth and I felt bad for them after the display of violence I just had to witness. Lie or not, I accepted their platitudes and told them it was no trouble. That seemed to surprise most everyone, especially the wolves. 

I was screwing things up again. I decided to try to keep my mouth shut from now on. Once again I didn't know enough about this situation to read the undercurrents of emotions and nonverbal communication.

"How generous of you, Delia. The Shifter packs are lucky to have someone so powerful willing to come to their aid without asking for anything in return," Edison said in a slightly condescending tone. Did he really expect the packs to do more than they already had? I mean there had been blood, pain, money, and community service. What more could this guy possibly want the wolves to give?

"Please, it was my honor to help out my fellow supernaturals. If you ever need anything else, please don't hesitate to ask," I found myself saying to the pack masters just to spite the power hungry asshole. The elbow to my side from Blake reminded me that I had just decided to keep my mouth shut. Oops.