Chapter 3~ dreams of red

*

Since the last beating Lilith had received wasn't an event she wanted to repeat anytime soon, she decided to keep her mouth shut for the rest of the long summer holiday

Since the last beating Lilith had received wasn't an event she wanted to repeat anytime soon, she decided to keep her mouth shut for the rest of the long summer holiday. It wasn't hard for her, she didn't have any friends and Harriet seemed to want to play with other girls her age so Lilith was left to do the same thing over and over again every day for the next four weeks.  Work.

Every day she'd go to the corner shop and deliver papers to the people who lived on the surrounding streets, sometimes they'd give her sweets and other times she'd get a door slammed in her face after telling her they didn't want "a no good thief" anywhere near their perfectly trimmed rose bushes.

And worse of all, the dreams had come back.

Lilith had suffered with dreams of all sorts for as long as she could remember, each dream sorting itself into four categories in her mind. Red, blue, yellow and green; each of them meaning a different thing. Green dreams were the most common, the majority of them pleasant nothings that Lilith often forgot, remembering only that they were nice ones.

But more recently worse dreams came. Ones reminding her of her past and her own stupid mistakes that she'd do anything to go back in time and change; it would get rid of the scar on her lip for sure.

The worrying thing about these recent dreams though was the fact that they were more frequent and much more violent than she'd like to remember. In fact, she was sure some of them weren't even her own memories, which the majority of them are, but someone else's or perhaps... perhaps they are yet to happen.

A four year old Lilith was hiding Beneath a moth-eaten blanket in the small sitting room which was off bounds at Clem's Group Home. The only sound that could be heard was the uneven breathing coming from the small child. She shouldn't have been in there, but who could blame the girl, she was running from a source that always came back; Lilith was too naive to understand that this wasn't a game of hide and seek.

The clip clop of heeled shoes was slowly getting louder and louder as Astrid Clem came into view, smirking menacingly at the shaking child.

Ms Clem wouldn't find her, that's what the young girl convinced herself. She found herself doing that more and more nowadays, convincing herself of things that wouldn't happen.

...She wouldn't find her...

...she wouldn't find her...

"You can't hide," she mocked, approaching the blanket hidden Lilith. Lilith sat, unmoving, beneath the cover which was her only form of protection against the older and much stronger woman.

...she wouldn't find her...

With a blinding flash of red, the blanket was pulled off to reveal a pale skinny child, wild black hair framing her face, messy curls sticking up due to the swiftness of the blanket being pulled off of her shaking body.