Chapter 6~ Sir Cadogan and Merlin

*

Merlin [known as Merlynn, Merlini or Merddyn] was a legendary Warlock who lived during the Middle Ages

Merlin [known as Merlynn, Merlini or Merddyn] was a legendary Warlock who lived during the Middle Ages.  Little is known of his past, but he was a member of King Arthur's court and arguably the most famous wizard of all time.

While muggles and wizards alike have been told the tales of Merlin, Arthur and his knights, it is hard to discern if everything said is true. A portrait of Merlin himself is hung in the halls of Hogwarts school of witchcraft and wizardry however information from the warlock is rare and often spoken in riddles. [See pages 133-135 for Miranda Folkin's experience with tales from the portrait]

Merlin was a member of King Arthur's court and ultimate advisor according to source [2] on pages 566-567, Merlin was said to be the downfall of Arthur's half sister Morgan Le Fay who was assisted by Mordred [or Mordredus or Modred]. Mordred has been depicted in many ways from many books, while some sources are from muggle literature and are often unreliable, he is said to have been Arthur's villainous bastard son, born of an incestuous relationship with his half-sister or aunt. Many sources have been taken into account but the evidence is blurry. So we therin write that Mordred is simply the bastard son of Arthur who he killed and was slain by.

"Reading at this time of the morning?" A groggy voice said from the bed opposite.

Lilith looked up from her, rather uncomfortable, position on the four poster bed. She had had the best night sleep since her last night at Hogwarts.

"I, unlike you Pansy Dear, have a productive brain that must reach certain requirements of knowledge," Lilith said, closing the leather tome.

"At half five?"

"You wouldn't know, of course."

She only just ducked Pansy's pillow.

*

The journey through the castle to North Tower was a long one. Two years at Hogwarts hadn't taught them everything about the castle, and they had never been inside North Tower before.

"Why i persuaded Mum to let me take this darned class, I'll never know," said Pansy as she and Lilith climbed the seventh long staircase and emerged on an unfamiliar landing, where there was nothing but a large painting of a bare stretch of grass hanging on the stone wall.

"I think it's this way," Lilith said, peering down the empty passage to the right.

"No," said Pansy. "That's south. Look, you can see a bit of the lake outside the window."

Lilith's attention was drawn to the painting. A fat, grey pony had just ambled onto the grass and was grazing nonchalantly. A moment later, a short, squat knight in a suit of armour had clanked into the picture after his pony. By the look of the grass stains on his metal knees, he had just fallen off.