Chapter 4~ the Parkinson's

*

Lilith found herself flat on her bed, thrown backward by the speed of the Knight Bus

Lilith found herself flat on her bed, thrown backward by the speed of the Knight Bus. Pulling herself up, Lilith stared out of the dark window and saw that they were now bowling along a completely different street.

She had read about the bus when she was trying to find a way to some sort of stable housing after her thoughtless escape plan. She stuck out her wand hand and, within seconds, the tall purple bus had screeched to a halt in front of her.

The Knight Bus kept mounting the pavement, but it didn't hit anything; lines of lampposts, mailboxes, and dustbins jumped out of its way as it approached and back into position once it had passed.

Lilith wouldn't have been able to sleep even if she had been traveling on a bus that didn't keep banging loudly and jumping a hundred miles at a time. At least she didn't have to worry about her dreams for the time being.

Stan had unfurled a copy of the Daily Prophet and was now reading with his tongue between his teeth. A large photograph of a sunken-faced man with long, matted hair blinked slowly at Lilith from the front page. He looked strangely familiar.

It then struck her. The likeness between the two was fairly obvious if you looked close enough and, due to many years of general existence, Lilith had looked at a mirror several times before. Their nose, the jaw, the cheekbones (though his were much more sunken than hers). She knew who that man was.

"What's that man's name?" She asked Stan, the conductor, apprehensively. "I've seen him before, on the news." That wasn't entirely a lie, she had heard on the radio.

Stanley turned to the front page and chuckled.

"Sirius Black," he said, nodding. "Course 'e was on the Muggle news. Where you been?"

He gave a superior sort of chuckle at the blank look on Lilith's face, removed the front page, and handed it to her.

"You oughta read the papers more, kid."

Lilith held the paper up to the candlelight and read:

BLACK STILL AT LARGE

Sirius Black, possibly the most infamous prisoner ever to be held in Azkaban fortress, is still eluding capture, the Ministry of Magic confirmed today.

"We are doing all we can to recapture Black," said the Minister of Magic, Cornelius Fudge, this morning, "and we beg the magical community to remain calm."

Fudge has been criticized by some members of the International Federation of Warlocks for informing the Muggle Prime Minister of the crisis.

"Well, really, I had to, don't you know," said an irritable Fudge. "Black is mad. He's a danger to anyone who crosses him, magic or Muggle. I have the Prime Minister's assurance that he will not breathe a word of Black's true identity to anyone. And let's face it -- who'd believe him if he did?"