The Cottage in the Woods

"You're an idiot!"

The look on his brother's face adds to the tension Hunter has put upon himself. His eyes dart to Marianne, but all she does is stare at a spot on the kitchen floor.

"Who the fûck do you think you are? How could you do that to her? We fûcking came from the same family, same blood, same parents, same upbringing. We were raised to be more responsible adults! And you do this?" Jason shouts, hands thrashing about.

"It was an accident!" Even though his voice is louder than Jason's, it lacks the scary tone he wants it to carry through. "I wasn't going around with my dîck hanging out and jumping women!"

Jason launches himself forward, pointing a steady finger at Hunter. "You might as well have been! The way you've been strutting around this city like a fûcking stud..."

"Jay, calm down," Marianne pipes from the side. She doesn't lift her chin up. "The kids might hear you."

Breathing out a shaky exhale, Jason pushes two fingers on Hunter's chest, but his voice lowers when he says, "You're going to do the right thing, Hunter. You're going to take responsibility."

"She doesn't want me to be involved!" Hunter snarls back.

"No. You are going to help her out. if not you, then we will. You can watch from the sidelines as much as you want, but Mare and I are helping Blanche and the baby. Your baby!"

Hunter pushes his brother, and the two glare at each other. Marianne has had enough. "Can you two just calm the frig down? Jay, your brother is old enough to make his own decisions." She stands in between the two large men, hands on her hips, taking no bullshît from either one. "Hunter, you can do what you want, but Jay is right. Even if you don't care, we do. Blanche is a real nice girl. I believe this wasn't planned, but it's here now and we cannot ignore it. Think about what Mom and Dad would say."

He has. Since dropping off and leaving Blanche at her tiny apartment, shared with another person, all he has thought of was how his parents would react. Other than Jason, the oldest of seven siblings, no one else is married or has kids. Donald and Lucy Peters haven't interfered with his life at all. Sure, his Mom would always ask him to go back home, at least for a little visit, but once Hunter says no, she backs down.

The stress in the air looms over him, as he brushes and tugs at his short hair. He is far different than the Hunter who left home and came to the big city with the hopes in his eyes, a duffle bag and unknown future. He has made a name for himself, made friends, and had lovers--keeping less of the former and adding up more of the latter. Yet, he can still imagine how his Mom would look if she finds out that her youngest son has turned his back on her grandchild. If he keeps going the path that he's told Blanche he'll take, he may as well say goodbye to his family as well. He is expected to do the right thing.

But what is right?

Is it right to get involved with a woman and their child's lives if he hasn't planned on doing so? Is it right to turn his back on Blanche and the child? His child? Assuming that Blanche is telling the truth and not just drop the blame on the nearest man around.

Of course, even though he's only been with her for a night, he knows deep inside that Blanche isn't the type to make up tall tales. And she said it herself, she doesn't need him around. How can he insert himself in this woman's life if she's not willing to let him?

"Look. You don't have to marry her," Jay starts again but Hunter doesn't let him finish.

"No one marries just because of that anymore."

"I know, Hunt! It's the twenty-first century! I'm a divorce lawyer. I know these things work. All I'm saying is you give this a chance. We'll come up with a solution that will benefit both parties."