More Beautiful Through and Through

Trisha sits on the edge of her bed, pouting like a kid who got sent to bed without dessert. "I can't believe you actually considered this."

Blanche eyes her from where she stands, the two suitcases she brought with her from home sit by her feet. "I understand why you're upset. It's only until I can support myself. You've sacrificed enough for me." She walks over to join her friend on the bed, and takes her hand, willing her to look at her sincere eyes. "It kinda makes sense right now."

If she's being honest with herself, Bee is afraid of the consequences of her decision. The question: 'What if things do not work out?'

"You barely know the guy!"

"Yes, that's exactly one of the reasons why I'm moving in with him. I want to know this man with whom I'm having a baby," Bee reasons.

Trisha throws her hands up in frustration."You can do that while living with me here, or when Troy, you and I find a bigger place."

"I've intruded in yours and Troy's lives enough. I know what it was like before I came. Let me do this. Let me learn on my own for a while. And I'm sure Hunter won't mind if you come and visit."

Trisha scoffs. "Like he'll have a choice!" She embraces her friend, propping her head over Bee's shoulder. "You make sure he doesn't do what Perry did to you. I can't see you hurt like that again."

Bee closes her eyes. A tear rolls down her cheek before she can stop it. "This is different. Hunter and I are not together. We're just... roommates. We're not even friends."

"That's why this all feels wrong." Trisha pouts as she stares at her friend. "If you ever change your mind or he does something stupid, you can come back any time. Anytime, Bee. Promise me."

Bee nods. "I promise."

"Give me a hug, you nutso."

Blanche swallows her anxiety. She vows to make the most of the situation. Not only will she get to know the father of her child more, she can also reclaim her independence. She has been under Trisha's wings for quite some time. Hunter has promised to give her the space she wants, all she has to do is ask. She doesn't expect him to serve her hand and foot. She insists that he let her pay for rent. What's even better is that Jay and Mare have offered their support as well.

Marianne has given her the contact numbers for an obstetrician, a midwife and a doula with whom she is acquainted. She has also promised to bring Blanche shopping for any baby needs. Bee is grateful for any sort of guidance. Her research on pregnancy has resulted into hundreds of differing ideas and opinions. Marianne has ensured her that most of them are merely guidelines. Once, Blanche entered a search for unusual living arrangements, hoping that it will shed some insights on the situation. The results she received mostly included situations during divorce or separations, something she may as well have asked her boss about. Her boss, Jason, who has been less than thrilled at how the pregnancy happened but has been a solid support nonetheless. Jay has ensured her that regardless of the blood ties, he will have her back if anything goes wrong with Hunter. The pressure isn't much on her, but rather, on the person whom she has decided to live with.

Blanche picks up one of her bags as Trisha takes the others when they hear the knock on the door.

"That must be him."

Trisha says nothing. She stomps across the room to the door. She places one of the bags on the floor before pulling on the doorknob, then she roughly pushes the bags onto Hunter's arms.

"You better not mess this up," Trisha leans over to warn him.

Hunter stares at her, a smirk playing at the corner of his mouth. He knows if he shows off his full teeth, it will be received with angst and vile.

****
"You cleaned!"

The spotless, trashless floor is the first thing Blanche notices.

Hunter scratches the nape of his neck. "I hired a cleaner. She's willing to come once a week, if necessary. She came highly recommended by Mare and Jay."

"Oh."

He knows what that one-syllable, noncommittal reply means. It means "oh, you're still a pig", "oh, you're a miserable slob who's too lazy to clean a two bedroom apartment", or "oh, I made a mistake". The fact of the matter is that Hunter just doesn't have the time. With work taking over all of his free time, prepping for Red's return, Hunter doesn't care much for tidying up his place, not when he can hire someone to do it. There are plenty of people willing to do the work that one doesn't want to do.

"Oh, but I can clean for you. No problem. I can't force you to take a proper amount for rent, but I can help out." Hunter does not expect that as an answer.

"Don't worry about it. You need to rest, as much as you possibly can. I'll show you to the bedroom." He carries her items to the master bedroom which he has called his own for a number of years. The walls are painted the same dark grey like when Bee was first there. He has changed the sheets with the new ones he has purchased the day before. He's also bought new pillows, replaced the mattress, picked up new bedside lamps, has gotten rid of the cinder block "side table" he has used for years, and chose simple wood and steel tables instead.

"Wow. You've definitely changed a lot since I was here," Blanche blurts out, and as soon as she does, a blush creeps up to her neck and cheeks. "What I meant to say..."

"Don't worry about it. We have to get used to each other." He tries not to sound so curt, but the situation is less than ideal. Hunter has had many sleepless nights, wondering why he has offered up this solution. Did his subconscious conjure this ridiculous idea? Living with a woman? Living with a woman he barely knows, and who's carrying his child? And what's even more surprising is that Bee accepted his offer! Somehow she seems more sure of her decisions than he is.

Hunter places the bags on the carpeted floor, newly carpeted floor, and says, "I'll be at work most nights, so I'll be out of your way. The cleaner also filled the fridge and the pantry. You can eat anything you want in there. There are clean towels in the bathroom. And uhmmm..." Why does he sound like a bellhop?

"Where are you sleeping?"

"There's another bedroom on the other side. I've been using it as a studio, but it's got enough space for a bed and a dresser. I've kept some of my clothes in the closet to hang, I hope you don't mind. That dresser is all yours though." He points at six-drawer dresser with finishes matching the side table. "Do you need help with these?" He waves his hands over the bags.

Bee shakes her head. "No, thanks. I'll sort it out."

Hunter brushes a hand over his hair. He's due for a haircut, and a shave. "I'll leave you to it then. I have to go back to work."

"Okay." Bee's voice is too quiet.

Hunter hesitates by the door. "We'll make it work. I will try my hardest." Even he has a hard time believing what he's saying. If he can't convince himself, how else will Blanche believe him?

"Okay," she says, again in the same low tone.

Hunter leaves her in the bedroom, thinking to himself that no, nothing feels okay at the moment. Nothing will be okay for a while. He has made a move, chanced a decision. All he has to do, as Jay told him, is to man the fuck up.
****

A/N: not the best update, I know. I'd still like your thoughts on it. There will be plenty of changes coming up. You know how it is! Thanks for the reads!